Spice is certainly a big business in the worldwide food industry today. Hot chilli sauces generated $1.72 billion (around £1.1 billion) in sales in 2014, for example, according to the world’s leading independent provider of strategic market research, Euromonitor International. The organisation doesn’t expect the trend to slow down anytime soon either, predicting that the sales will surpass $2.5 billion (approximately £1.6 billion) come 2020.
With the market receiving so much attention at the moment, Hawkin’s Bazaar — stockists of the fiendish extreme heat mini bottles — has created a comprehensive guide to chillies and hot sauces. The insightful visual will provide answers to questions such as:
· What makes up a chili?
· How is the spice of a chilli pepper or hot sauce measured?
· Which one is hotter; a Bhut Jolokia, a Carolina Reaper or a Scotch Bonnet?
· Is the statement ‘drinking water amplifies a chilli’s heat’ fact or fiction?
· Who holds the world record for eating the most Jalapeno peppers in a single minute?
· Are there any health benefits associated with chillies and hot sauces?
Take a look at the infographic below now and see how much you didn’t know about chillies and hot sauces: