One of my most popular recipes on Bunny Kitchen is a simple 15 minute, Slice-able and Melt-able Vegan Cheese, it was shared by the Vegan Society and gained immense popularity. Just over a year later, I’m sharing a really slight update to the recipe, that makes it even simpler to prepare and a few more options to increase the cheesy tang that so many vegans, new and seasoned, miss but don’t want to eat animal products.
For a firm cheese without the freezer that will slice and grate perfectly, use Kappa carrageenan. Somer of Vedged Out introduced me to this product which, like agar, is derived from seaweed but has a much better setting power. There are various types of carrageenan so make sure to buy the right one – you can get it from Amazon.
If using agar, with a gentle freeze, this cheese becomes firm enough to grate and slice or, for a softer, semi solid cheese, setting in the fridge makes for a simple way to scoop some cheese onto bread, pizza, pasta or into a sauce to be melted into lusciousness.
The original recipe, despite still being fast, required various stages of combining the ingredients, including adding the starch to the hot milk which took some serious patience and muscle power to whisk in lump free. After many readers had difficulty with this stage, I wanted to redesign the recipe to eliminate this step.
The answer? Simple, the blender! I hope you love the new, improved method much better.
Of course I use my super powerful Optimum blender to whizz this up, any excuse to use this fabulous gadget in my kitchen! However, there’s nothing too difficult to blend in the ingredients list so a regular blender should be just fine, it might just need a bit of a scrape every now and again.
Ingredients: Makes around 450g
- 500 ml/2 cups soya or other neutral flavoured non dairy milk like a nut or seed milk (for the best results use a thick, rich milk or creamer)
- A heaped tablespoon of Kappa carrageenan or 2 tbsp agar powder*
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp coarse salt (or 1 tsp fine salt)
- 40g/4 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp paprika (use smoked for a smoky cheese)
- 30g/1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
Optional add in’s:
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder or 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (for colour)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree or ketchup
- A few shakes of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of white miso paste
- Sub 1/4-1/2 cup of the milk with rejuvelac or vegan kefir
- 1-2 capsules of vegan probiotic, emptied or 1/4 tsp pure vitamin C powder/citric acid/vegan lactic acid powder.
6 tbsp agar flakes can be used instead of powder, boil mixture gently for 15 minutes after adding the flakes, vinegar and salt before adding the remaining ingredients.
Other types of carrageenan can also be used (3 heaped tsp powder) and is often sold as ‘vege-gel’ or ‘vege-set’, the cheese will not be as firm as when set with Kappa or agar but it behaves the same and after a little time in the freezer, grates perfectly.
- Simply blend the core ingredients and any or all of the optional extras until well combined.
- Add to a pan and cook over a medium heat for 10 or so minutes until really very thick then pour into a container to set.
- Leave to harden in the fridge or freezer until cooled and firm.