I am so excited to be posting this recipe as part of the fifth Virtual Vegan Potluck, lovingly created and tirelessly produced by Annie of An Unrefined Vegan.
After postponing the Potluck earlier this year, it is even more exciting to be a part of this long awaited vegan blogging party, possibly the most inspiring virtual event in the vegan blogging community.
The featured ingredient this potluck was citrus fruits, which could be optionally included in the recipe entries. I decided to use it and chose to use orange, my favourite citrus. I love how orange can be a bright and refreshing summer flavour reminiscent of sunshine in the warmer months, yet pairs so beautifully with warm and sweet spice like cinnamon, nutmeg and clove in autumn and winter. It is a flavour I associate with Christmas – mince pies, Christmas pudding and chocolate and so it became the star in this rich and creamy festive hot chocolate drink.
Paired with nutty tahini, this is the perfect Christmas eve bedtime drink and/or Christmas morning treat, but it’s delicious and soothing anytime really.
Ingredients: Per serving
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup or other sweetener of choice, to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Mix all ingredients but the milk in a small pan over a low-medium heat. Gradually whisk in the milk to ensure it stays smooth and silky.
- When all amalgamated and steaming, taste and adjust the flavours to your liking.
- Serve in your favourite mug, even if it has a chip in it.
Very high in calcium
High in dietary fiber
High in iron
Very high in manganese
High in magnesium
High in phosphorus
Very high in vitamin E