I’m a big purveyor of homemade gifts, especially at Christmas, my favourite celebration of the year where I love to spend some time making personalised gifts for friends and family.
Making gifts is not only cheaper, but is Earth and cupboard-space friendly by recycling and is a very thoughtful way to show your appreciation to people, including those who you would like to give a gift but can’t always afford to after buying for immediate friends and family.
After all, Christmas is a time of sharing, love and joy, not about money, value or possessions, something which can be hidden under this facade of commercialised Christmas and an infatuation with buying presents.
So when I was sent a jar as part of the Jam J-art campaign to get creative with, I thought what better way to use it than make festive gifts.
These ideas are especially good for those people who ‘have everything’ and you have spent weeks wondering what you could possibly give to them. A tree decoration and a glittery candle holder of course!
What you need:
- 1 Jar with metal lid
- 1 paintbrush, approx 1 inch thick bristles
- A drill or other tool to safely make a hole through the jar lid
- PVA glue and strong hold glue
- String, thin ribbon or twine
- Embellishments such as festive buttons, mini ribbons and stick on hearts
- Tealight or candle to fit inside the jar
How to make the candle holder:
- Make sure the jar is clean and dry and remove the lid. Mix a blob of PVA glue with a little water just to thin it slightly but not to a watery consistency. Pour a little in the base of the jar and use the brush to brush it all around the inside of the jar, all the way to the top of the rim. Keep any leftover glue to one side for the lid.
- With the jar over a sheet of newspaper, pour in the glitter and shake around to coat the glue inside the jar. Swirl the glitter around the jar at least twice to ensure full coverage then shake out the excess.. Use the paper to guide the glitter back into the container for future use.
- Set aside to dry fully then wrap ribbon or string around the rim into a bow and place tealight or candle inside.
How to make the tree decoration:
- Use the thinned out PVA glue to coat the underside of the jar lid and again cover with glitter and shake off the excess. Leave to dry then carefully drill a hole through for the hanging string, drilling from the outer-side down ensuring there is a protective material underneath.
- Use the strong hold glue to stick on embellishments of your choice, I made a bow using the candy cane twine which I also threaded through the hole and tied for hanging.