Gluten Free, Vegan, Quick and Easy Christmas Pudding

DSCN0628

Christmas pudding is one of those classic’s that people either love or hate, I love it. I also love keeping tradition going and for me my Christmas table is incomplete without the rich fruit pudding, even if I am the only one to eat it!

Traditionally made with eggs, white flour, sugar and alcohol; this version is so full of fruity, spiced flavour that no one will know that it is vegan, gluten free, alcohol free and refined sugar free. Why not make this version so that any of your guests can try it whether they have food allergies or preferences or avoid alcohol.

DSCN0627

This recipe will be published in a new ebook, The Love Life Christmas Cookbook, by insurance giant LV= and it is great that it will feature my vegan and gluten free recipe alongside standard recipes, hopefully leading some curious minds to check out what veganism is all about!

DSCN0632

Ingredients: Makes a 1 pint pudding, serving 6

• 100g carrot
  • 30g refined coconut oil (or vegan margarine)
  • 50g maple syrup
  • 25g dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
  • Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 85g ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 150g dried mixed fruit
  • 50g chopped dates
  • 50g glace cherries

1. Add the carrot to a food processor and whizz until fine. Add the margarine or coconut oil. maple syrup, sugar and lemon zest and juice and process until combined.
  2. Transfer to a medium sauce pan and heat slowly until melted and the carrot has started to soften.
  3. Add the dry ingredients and fruit to the pan and stir until well combined.
  4. Pack the mixture into a greased 1 pint pudding basin, pressing it down firmly with a spoon. Cover with a layer of pleated greaseproof paper or foil and tie with string or an elastic band to prevent steam getting in to the pudding.
  5. Place the basin into a deep pan and pour in boiling water to come two thirds of the way up the sides of the basin. Boil steadily for 3 hours, topping up the water to make sure the pan doesn’t boil dry.
  6. Invert on to a plate and serve with vegan custard or cream.

screenshot-caloriecount.about.com 2014-12-06 22-20-04

Nutritional Benefits

No cholesterol

Very low in sodium

High in manganese

Very high in vitamin A

Very high in vitamin C

signature instagram-logo1-300x150 join-me-on-facebook twitter_follow

This entry was posted in vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Gluten Free, Vegan, Quick and Easy Christmas Pudding

1. oh man, I may have to make this! Looks and sounds delicious!

2. Reblogged this on amazing gracekelly and commented:
    Another good looking recipe.

3. Veggiewitch says:

Reblogged this on veggiewitch and commented:
    YUMMMMMMMM! 😀

4. apsara says:

Wow, that is one healthy pudding! Genius recipe.

5. If you’re feeling so inclined, I’d love to feature this on Vegan Bloggers Unite! Here’s how, if you’d like to: https://veganbloggersunite.wordpress.com/how-to-submit-html/

Thank you!
    Lidia 🙂

6. May says:

Is the xanthan gum related to the gluten-freeness, or the veganness? I’d like to make this but don’t want to buy a special ingredient I’d not use much – what does it do in the recipe? It sounds delicious, and how great that your recipe will be in a book!

7. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

8. Hi Poppy,

Your Christmas Pudding is ingenious! Three cheers for you that you were able to make it vegan, gluten-free, and alcohol-free! Many years ago I was given an old Scottish recipe for Christmas pudding that contained the usual–eggs, suet, and alcohol. I was able to veganize it considerably, but it still contains wheat and alcohol. It’s delicious and we do indulge for that once-a-year treat. I’ve posted the recipe in our December issue of Vegetarians in Paradise http://www.vegparadise.com in case you might like to have a look at it. Happy holiday cheers!

Zel Allen

How wonderful that you were able to veganize an old Scottish recipe Zel, its so nice when you can make a classic recipe suitable. Thank you for your kind words! Poppy x

9. Hi Poppy,

Your Christmas Pudding is ingenious! Three cheers to you for making it vegan, gluten-free, and alcohol-free–that’s quite a feat! Many years ago I was given an old Scottish recipe–it contained the usual suspects–eggs, suet, alcohol, and bread crumbs. After several attempts I was able to veganize it, but it still contains wheat, brandy, and ale. And I must admit, it is rather special to indulge for that once-a-year holiday treat. I’ve posted the recipe in my Vegetarians in Paradise website in case you might like to have a look at it http://www.vegparadise.com

10. Awesome that your recipe is going to be featured, Poppy! Congrats! It looks luscious!

That is great to hear that your awesome recipe will be featured! I love your vegan gluten-free version a lot! There is no flour in here! I will be making it soon! Yummm!

12. This looks delicious. I love Christmas pudding but often find it too heavy to actually enjoy as a dessert. This looks much lighter so I will have to try and find time to test this out. Yum 🙂