It’s that time of year when the scent of burning barbecues fills the air. There is something about the smell of burning coals that is so comforting and exciting to the taste buds. Yet, as soon as the stench of burning flesh hits the grill, I lose my appetite. But, that doesn’t mean I have to miss out, I have a small portable bucket barbecue that I can use in my garden to satisfy my summer grilled burger cravings, along with some grilled mushrooms and peppers.
These burgers are packed full of nutrients, are a fun hot pink colour, taste delicious and vibrant and grill up beautifully on the barbecue, or in a pan on the stove at any time of year. The balsamic onions just take them over the top.
I’m bringing these burgers to the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck – have you submitted your recipes yet?!
Ingredients: Makes 6 burgers
- 2 medium cooked beetroot
- 50g Bulgar wheat, cooked according to package directions
- 50g red lentils, cooked along with the bulgar
- 50g houmous
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 large leaves of kale, quite finely chopped
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Buns and garnishes of choice to serve
For the onions:
- 2 red onions, sliced into rings
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2tsp fennel seeds
- Start with the onions, saute over a low-medium heat in a teaspoon of oil or a splash of water until soft and lightly coloured. Stir in the fennel seeds and vinegar and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, pulse together the burger ingredients until it can clump together, it should still have texture and flecks of kale but be able to be formed into burger shapes. If the mixture seems to wet, add breadcrumbs or ground almonds a tablespoon at a time or if it seems too dry, add water a tablespoon at a time.
- Make 6 burgers out of the mixture and grill with a little cooking spray until coloured, just a couple of minutes on each side. Alternatively use a cast iron pan or regular frying pan.
- Serve in buns, topped with onions and your favourite garnishes.
Low in saturated fat
High in dietary fiber
High in manganese
Very high in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin C