The Perils of Being Vegan

I had planned to share a recipe with you all today but this was overruled by some nasty and inappropriate comments on Facebook which I wanted to share with you.

I first had a Facebook account years ago as a teen, where I would frequently see people abusing each other in my news feed and as a result, eventually I deleted my account and lost interest in what seemed like just a forum for bullying and hatred.

Recently, I was encouraged to set up a page for my blog on Facebook and was advised that there was more security and screening measures and that it was a great tool of social media. So, I set up a page and thus reactivated my Facebook account. It was great, I reconnected with old friends and found and followed many pages of blogs that I read and love and found myself on Facebook for hours exploring a new world which did, in fact, appear much different to how it was before.

And then, today happened. And it knocked me for six. I could have avoided confrontation and not replied, but I felt I had to stand up for my corner, especially as I had been hunted down, I had simply invited this person to like the page. If you don’t like it, you simply don’t accept, right?

6287299193077760

The worst part is that this person is a person I have known since he was a small boy and he is in fact my brother-in-law to be.

4835062772137984

So, should this be a lesson to have not returned to Facebook? Should I delete the account? Or should I not let the haters win?

Do you come across this vegan hatred, and how do you deal with it?

Thanks for all your support my lovely readers.

poppy

This entry was posted in Animals, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

174 Responses to The Perils of Being Vegan

1. Oh Poppy! Do you have a good relationship with this man? Fbook and its appeal continues to baffle me, I personally choose not to have one, but I hope that if you’ve been getting something good out of it so far, you continue with it and put this behind you. I understand how a ‘little’ (I don’t mean to trivialise it by saying that) things can knock you for six, like you said, but I hope you can rise above it, put it behind you and continue to use it to promote your lovely blog. I don’t know what sort of character this guy has and don’t want to speculate but… Well, people are bizarre, aren’t they!! Chin up!

No, I don’t have a close relationship but we have always got on and he has never been horrible towards me or my lifestyle choices in the past. So, it was all the more of a shock.

I understand totally why you are baffled with facebook! On the plus side, there has been much more kindness on there than there has his nastiness. I have learnt how to ban him from the page and delete all the comments so hopefully that is the end of it!

Bizarre is a very kind way of you describing certain members of the human race πŸ˜‰

Thank you SO much for your support – means so much πŸ˜€

• As a fellow vegan, I completely understand your frustration. It’s funny how you find out a person’s true colours when they don’t have to look at you in the eyes to tell you these nasty things. It’s much easier for him to be nasty to you when it’s on the internet, which not only makes him an a-hole (sorry) but also a coward.
        I might be completely 100% wrong here, but that’s the impression I got from reading his posts to you.
        If that happened to me, I would delete him from my Facebook, block him, and even stop talking to him altogether – just completely ignore that he even exists. Small and cruel people are just not worth your time 😦 You did a good thing standing up for yourself and for what you know to be true ❀

Thank you so much for your awesome comment!
        I couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said – the safety of being abusive on Facebook and what to do about it. I have blocked him and then funnily enough got a message a few days later asking why I had deleted him with a sad face!! I think it’s games to be honest so I’m just ignoring from now on.
        At least I have a wonderful community online who are supportive and lovely!

2. saplingvegan says:

Hey Little Lady! It happens. It’s sad but you have to go into any vegan conversation with a non vegan and assume you’ll have to defend your decision. I think with social media it helps to have thick skin. I try my best to just not respond to a negative comment. If it’s a comment questioning veganism from someone who is genuinely curious, then it’s probably best to respond in a friendly, helpful manner, but this guy seems like he’s just looking to instigate and in that case I’d case just ignore ignore ignore! You don’t have to prove anything to him personally and nothing you can say will change his mind so why bother.
    Please keep your facebook! I love looking at your posts πŸ™‚ You have a great blog and a handful of meanies should never affect the good in your life. ❀

Thank you so much for your lovely message and great advice Stephanie! I definitely need to thicken my skin, I think I was just not prepared for it but at least now I have learnt from this and am better prepared for any future attacks!

You are right about not responding to a negative comment, I will definitely stick to this in the future. Thank you for encouraging me to keep going, I am not going to delete it, I have simply deleted the yucky stuff and banned the person!

THANK YOU!!!! πŸ˜€ ❀ x

3. misslibri says:

I think you should not delete your facebook account. Keep it going and concentrate on the positive. you’ve got so many readers, who love what you do.
    I am not completely vegan, but interested in living healthy. I have been through a lot of discussions and arguing according to the nutrition of my 3-year old son. I decided to avoid talking about these things because my family is not willing to understand my position.

I’m sorry you have had difficulties with discussing the nutrition of your son. It’s a shame that some things have to be such jury splitters. You are his mum, you know what’s best for your your little person and that’s what matters!

Thank you for your lovely words of support and encouragement. I will do just that – not delete the account and focus on all the positives! πŸ˜€

4. Pru says:

I’m not vegan at all, yet I truly enjoy your blog… We live two different lifestyles, yet we are able to co-exist on our lovely planet. That’s because we accept our differences. I respect your choices.
    No matter what we do, the haters will always hate… They’ll try to agitate… Push our buttons… And make us quit. Then they win. Or at least they think they win.
    He was pushing your buttons. Don’t let him win.. The good will always outweigh the bad…
    Ignore the comments, and delete the hateful words… Don’t give those people fuel…
    Keep your Facebook… xx

Pru, thank you for your beautiful words. It is so refreshing to hear that people can co-exist, respect each other and not judge one another despite lifestyle or any other differences. That is what makes our world, our world, or else we’d all be identical robots in white robes.

You inspired me and helped me so much, thank you. I will not be defeated by the hatred of one amongst the love and support of many. Your support means a great deal. Thank you.

Poppy xx

5. Chad says:

From my experiences both with a blog as well as facebook and being in various groups on there, you are bound to have some people who have differing view points. It then becomes a matter of say someone providing a valid argument or in this instance no real viable conversation. In such cases, it then becomes a matter of responding (in this case after the initial response I would choose to end it) or other means of cutting off communication i.e. it is your facebook page so I believe you can ban users who harass. Overall though, for every case you have like this, I am sure there are many more where you have educated conversations where knowledge is both given and gained on both sides and that’s what counts. Don’t let it knock you down, you have plenty of supporters.

Thank you for your very wise words Chad, I couldn’t agree more. I have now learnt how to ban the person and have learnt many lessons from this experience and will be better equipped to deal with any issues like this in the future should they arise. So there is a positive in everything! Thank you πŸ˜€

6. naturalfuel says:

Sorry that you had to put up with the unnecessary and spiteful ignorance on your page. If I ever got posts like that on mine, that are clearly just intended to provoke a reaction and not a respectful conversation, then I would just delete the comments and block the person. By not giving them a reaction, it is far more frustrating to them! Unfortunately these sort of reactions are common, but it says far more about them than it does us!

Thank you for your very helpful comment! I have now deleted the comments and banned the person – I don’t know how before! You are so right about frustrating them more by not reacting – next time I will do just that!

πŸ˜€

7. scdietnet says:

Block him and only have friends on.

8. elisabetta says:

Well, I’ve read and seen the worst things also in an italian vegan group on fb, someone who signed up just to post pictures about cruelty, they eating steaks, and so on. Some people have the need to provoke and quarrel.I agree that the best is not to give them any attention. And, what is right always finds opposition. But what is right will go on. Thank you for what you do!

Elisabetta, that sounds so awful and I realise how easy I have had it here. I will never ever ever understand why and how people can be so cruel to one another, especially when it is to people who are trying to be kind and good.

It is true that ‘what is right always finds opposition’ – great people such as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi all suffered for their good-doing and I bet a number of the haters out there today are free because of those people and others.

Sad world but there are people like you that keep a light amidst the darkness. Thank you.

9. chefjulianna says:

I am always so shocked when I meet mean-spirited people, either online or in the real world. Who wants to go through life like that? I think it is always think it is best to go through life surrounded by people who nourish and support us. You know the old expression, “Be careful of the company you keep.” This is especially true in the digital age. I would just block this guy and move forward! Who needs his negative energy?

I couldn’t agree more Julianna, what a miserable existence it must be to be so negative and affect all around you. Negativity is so contagious – but as is positivity, and you have brought me tonnes of that! Thank you πŸ˜€

• Monetta says:

I agree. You can ban him from your page without blocking him as a friend. And you can also delete nasty comments on your page. It is ok to ban him on fb even though he is in your social circle in real life

10. So sorry you had to deal with such childish comments Poppy. I’ve been lucky enough to avoid them for the most part so far. I’d say the best thing to do is just ignore them as all they want to do is provoke you. Hope it hasn’t got to you too much. Hugs x
    P.S. The site’s looking great!

Thank you so much Emma. I think you are right about ignoring them and I will do just that from now on. I think it was where it was someone that is linked to me in that way and I felt such disrespect, I had to respond! Lesson learnt, they feed off it!
      It did really upset me but after all the lovely commenters from my wonderful blog friends like you, I feel so much better!

I’m glad you like the site, you’rs looks gorgeous, will I still see you in my reader as you’ve gone independent (I think?!).

xx

• Yes, Emma, let us know! I specifically went on your site yesterday and found I have missed your last, like, 5 posts! Do they no longer appear in the WordPress reader?
        It looks fantastic, by the way! Love it. xo

11. Andy Oldham says:

I’m on your side Bunny. Maybe you should let your sister see this before it’s too late for her! God Bless!

Andy, it’s a pleasure to have you on my side!

The good news is that he is ‘brother-in-law to be’ as he is my partner’s brother! Phew! No rescuing sisters needed!

God bless you too and so much thanks for your support!

12. I’m sorry that this happened to you. But just remember, he is only one person; there are 300 others already (yes, I stalked then ‘liked’ your page!) who have liked your page and want to be involved and support you. If you are excited about sharing your interests and your passions, go for it. He doesn’t have to be be a part of it!

I know it’s hard not to take spiteful comments to heart (even when they are vastly outnumbered by lovely ones!) but don’t delete a page that you’ve worked hard on over people who are clearly just trying to evoke a reaction.

If my internet addiction has taught me anything, it’s don’t feed the trolls.

Good luck with the page! πŸ™‚

Thank you so much for commenting, encouraging and stalking and liking my page hehe πŸ˜‰

You are so right, why should one person ruin it for everyone else and overshadow all the wonderful people out there. I will not let him!

13. Divalicious says:

In true English terms, “what a tosser”. Just blog him and ignore his immaturity. If he were not interested in the page, he has not accepted. I get so many invites to play games but just delete block them. Clearly the chemicals in the meat he has eaten had affected him and reduced his IQ to 50. There is also a feature in Facebook where you can flag up any hateful words/phrases and these will blog any postings with these. Just keep doing what you are doing and sod him!! xx

That’s such a great comment!! ‘In true English terms, β€œwhat a tosser”.’ ‘Clearly the chemicals in the meat he has eaten had affected him and reduced his IQ to 50.’ = a new classic!!

Thanks for letting me know about the flagging of hateful words/phrases, I will definitely check that out.

Your support is much appreciated! x

14. Ngan R. says:

Poppy, first of all, I really enjoy your blog and your recipes, even though I am not vegan. πŸ™‚ Second, I’m sorry you had to deal with these comments–I think they were really juvenile actually–but these are things you won’t be able to stop if you put yourself out there. Which is not to say you shouldn’t put yourself and your blog promoting out there–you should!–but you’ll just have to ignore these comments. Your blog looks nice–I like the theme change!

Ngan, I’m really pleased that you enjoy reading! I agree, the whole thing was very juvenile and irritating! Yes, I will need to get thicker skinned as I’m sure this won’t be the last scenario, but I have learnt from the experience which is a positive thing. Most importantly I have learnt how to delete the nasty words and ban the culprits!

Glad you like the new look – was time for a change! πŸ˜€

15. Divalicious says:

I meant block him..doh! He got my temper going…

16. lalaluluj says:

I’d block him. You don’t need that negativity in your life. This is your blog, to post whatever you want. If he doesn’t like it, his loss but you don’t need to not use Facebook to avoid his asinine comments. Block the haters and keep rockin’ on. Haters will always hate; don’t let ’em get to you πŸ˜‰

17. I am so sorry for the person, family member no less, was crude and hateful to your post and beliefs. You and your blog are both beautiful and inspiring

18. Ann iPhone Mcneal says:

Can you block him from your page after you delete his comments?

Sent from my iPhone

19. sondra500 says:

Wow that’s really a bummer. You certainly don’t deserve to be treated like that. But really this has nothing to do with Facebook, this is someone you already know. Facebook is just the channel he’s using to be a jerk. I’d be more concerned about the fact that he’s going to be in your family than I would be about strangers on a social media platform. I can’t see how anyone would be meaner than him. I’d change the image at the top of the post from HATEBOOK to MYHORRIBLESOONTOBEBROTHERINLAW. That’s the real problem.

Sondra, thank you so much for making me smile and giggle! I wonder if there’s already an image with those words on google?! πŸ˜‰

But, of course, you are right. Strange thing is that in all the years, he has never been anything but nice to me and I have always been a vegetarian. I guess it’s the safety of hiding behind Facebook!

πŸ˜€

20. That is so sad. It is quite harrowing how much hate there is towards vegans (and anything else that is not considered “normal”). The funny thing is, I bet he’d never say anything like that in person. People really are worse when hiding behind their computer screens! You don’t need to put up with negativity like that on your page, so don’t, you deserve better πŸ™‚

Thank you for commenting. You’re so right about the sole issue really being what’s not considered β€œnormal”. It’s just sad. And yes, well I last saw him at Christmas – he was nothing but nice to me then of course haha!

Thanks for your support! πŸ˜€

21. Denise says:

I have a Facebook page for my blog; it’s just a way to let people know when I post. WordPress sends a notice to FB every time I write something. I don’t get into conversations on it, so I don’t know much about it. I do know you can unfriend him – why not just leave it at that? He’s your brother-in-law, so in real life you don’t have to talk about food with him.

You know…I had someone (only once!) upset with me, and she tried to post a comment about it on my blog, which I wouldn’t approve. Arguing has no place in my blog; nor does it have one in yours. I respect what you do, and even though I don’t often comment, I follow you and read your posts.

You’re the only one who can create the life you want. If it means drawing a line in certain people’s conditions, you do it. It’s hard work, but it’s worth it.

I admire what you’re doing. I haven’t eaten meat in 30 years, and my daughter and I are now eating more vegan. We love animals, are appalled by what’s done to them. You’re getting the word out there – don’t get sidetracked by anyone’s drama. The animals need you.

Denise, it’s so lovely to hear from you and thank you so much for your fantastic words!

He has in fact un-friended me but is still commenting on the blog page which is public so I think I will have to block him from it (once I work out how!).

It is sad that I live my life in a quest for peace yet somehow drama always finds a way to cause chaos. But, thank you for reminding me why I am here, doing this – for the animals and I won’t let anyone or anything remove me from my fight for them.

Thank you for inspiring me and for supporting me and for following me.

Poppy πŸ˜€

22. Rachel in Veganland says:

Hi Poppy. Geez, comments like these can be so frustrating to deal with. I dealt with some similar comments (on my blog and in person) a few weeks back and I wrote an entire post on the subject too! If I were you, (if you haven’t already) I’d delete Nathan’s comments. He’s clearly trying to get a rise out of you, and you can’t let him win! I’d block him from the page, and send him a private message explaining why you had to delete and block him and that this is a public page to promote your blog, that you understand he has no interest in what you are doing, and that you will refrain from including him in further such endeavors. If he continues to be nasty, just don’t respond.

And don’t worry! Just from reading the words of my fellow commenters, I can see how much support you have in the vegan community about this! I always feel that there’s a reason that people are so insecure about meat eating and are compelled to spew such vile remarks. If someone is THAT insecure about their food choices, I think that us vegans must really be onto something here!

I’d love to hear how you resolved the issue, I think it would help and make other vegans who also face Hatebook instances feel safe and secure. If you’re up for a follow up post, (even just on Facebook) I’d love to see it!

Thanks for your great and lovely comment Rachel! I’m sorry you had to deal with a similar scenario recently and I’m coming to check out your post about it. It’s so nice that we have such a wonderful community here.

You are so right when you say, ‘If someone is THAT insecure about their food choices, I think that us vegans must really be onto something here!’.

Thanks for your advice too, I will do just that and if I find a way to resolve it of course I will share!

Thank you for your lovely support! πŸ˜€

23. That is horrible. Don’t delete the account at all! Just delete and block any trolls in the future. Maybe have a quiet word with him next time you see him and explain that his behaviour is not appropriate… You may also want to explain to him that plenty people that eat meat read vegan blogs and use the recipes! He’s an idiot.
    Keep up the good work.

24. Hey there Poppy! To be honest I’ve never been much into Facebook. I have an account only because one of my girlfriends set it up for me. Since I started my blog, some bloggers have started following me on Facebook so I follow them back despite the fact that I rarely use my account.

I’ve never experienced anything bad from Facebook and I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve had negative experiences chica. I feel for you!

I have experienced negativity toward veganism in my real life, however. This is really hard to handle and I’m not always the best at dealing with it. The one thing that helps me is remembering how strange vegans seemed to me before I went vegan. Although I was too polite to say something disrespectful to vegans back then, I didn’t get them. They didn’t follow the norm and I couldn’t understand why.

I look back now and I don’t get how I ever ate meat or didn’t understand vegans, but that was who I was just two years ago! So when someone lays on the negativity I try to remember how I used to be. It still irks me when they make negative comments, which is certainly rude. But people can be rude when we don’t follow the norms. I think this comes from their discomfort with someone who is different, especially if they fear their worldview is being questioned.

I find it very sad that veganism isn’t the norm and that many people think we’re extreme, but that’s the unfortunate reality. I hope this changes in time and that Nathan has a vegan awakening. You never know Poppy – if I can wake up, anyone can wake up. Right now, however; he’s simply acting out of his ignorance. If you’ve been liking Facebook, then let your lovely presence there be a light to all this ignorance in the world. The more presence we vegans have on social media, the more we can change the world.

I hope that, despite this incident, you’re having a lovely week! Celeste πŸ™‚

Celeste, thank you so much for your wonderful and wise words. I think you are so very right in saying that there is discomfort with someone who is different, especially if they fear their worldview is being questioned. It is very sad, and I guess we aren’t alone in suffering as the minority, it is all around us.

Thank you for your positive words and yes let’s keep our presence as strong as we can! At least we have a wonderful community here.

Your support is so much appreciated Celeste. You’re the best! πŸ˜€

25. Oh, and by the way, I’ve been meaning to tell you that I LOVE the new look of your blog!! πŸ™‚

26. MamaD1xx4xy says:

All the more reason why I am still not on Facebook! Try not to let it get to you and keep up the good work with the blog.

27. Monica says:

Oh no 😦 don’t let the haters win! I wouldn’t delete the page if I were you, it’s better to show that you really believe in what you’re doing. But I wouldn’t be surprised if more comments like that show up, unfortunately 😦 facebook’s not as ‘pre-screened’ as followers on your blogs are, and people will make stupid comments and troll – it majorly sucks.
    I’d definitely play it cool when you eventually meet with Nathan in person, and just address the issue – politely, and with maturity. But be firm.
    I hope the rest of your week goes well though! Think of all the good things that’ve happened this week instead! πŸ™‚

28. Oh, Poppy! I cannot help but feel upset for you, but we need to learn not to take this ignorance personally. It is unbelievable how much negativity I received once I became vegetarian, mainly being judged for sharing vegan recipes, etc. There is definitely a huge stigma with veganism. I’ve been told the rudest things, and I’ve taken them to heart and given myself so much anxiety. Then I have my husband who reminds me how many people respect my decisions and what I choose to share with people who are genuinely interested in opening their minds and hearts to veganism and vegetarianism. I remind myself that the rudeness and mean comments are only a reflection of how they feel about themselves. This brother in law to be is obviously unhappy with facing the consequences of his own decisions, be it eating meat or whatever it is he saw that was so ‘fanatical’. It’s hard to face the facts. Being mean and defensive is just easier.
    You are amazing, I love what you do, you are an advocate for the voiceless, and KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU DO!

Ps – Love the new look. XO
    Pps- I just heard on the radio last week that Facebook is planning on launching a new way of using their site, which is that you won’t even need to log in, you can use it anonymously. Can you imagine how much more mean and harsh people will be behind their screens when they are not even accountable for their words? I think that will be the end of me and facebook!

Sophia, you always bring a smile to my face, thank you!

I’m sorry you received negativity when you turned vegetarian. It’s so sad that people feel the need to challenge a decision which is actually a kind and healthy decision.

I agree that being mean and defensive is easier than accepting the truth and really the mindset is just that of bullies everywhere in life who, as you say, behave in a way which reflects how they feel about themselves. It’s very sad.

I’m so grateful for your kindness and support and encouragement!

I’m glad you like the new look and scary news about facebook, how irresponsible of them if they do that?! Let’s wait and see.

πŸ˜€ xx

29. kaybak says:

So people feel the need to put in their two cents. All the time! Especially in social networking sites. Do let them bug you and just brush it off. πŸ™‚

30. Hannah says:

Don’t let it get to you. Block the haters and keep doing what your passionate about πŸ™‚

I’m sorry that this person is going to be a part of your family and you will have to deal with those comments frequently. Its a lot easier when its a total stranger that you can just write off. My dad used to make comments like that, asking if I wanted to take a sniff of their steaks or something dumb. He still never fails to tell me that my food would taste better with meat in it. Haters are gonna hate I guess.

Hannah, thank you for your comment. I’m really sorry about your dad, that must be really tough – at least this person in my life I don’t see all that often!

‘Haters are gonna hate I guess.’ – I couldn’t put it better myself.

31. Although I am not a vegan, I admire and respect vegans. In life, we do experience negative and impolite people. This will not be the last. As long as you are safe/secure, keep up with your good work for your followers/readers. ‘Silence is golden’. Delete any unpleasant comments as soon as you see them, and don’t waste any time for it. I think you should keep your Facebook account and be very discreet about your personal matters.

Hi Fae, thanks for your comment and advice. As you say, we do experience negative and impolite people in life but I didn’t expect a family member to be so disrespectful in a public domain. It’s a shame that people feel the need to create dramas unnecessarily.

I have deleted the comments and will be keeping the facebook account open. I must confess I’m not quite sure what you mean in your last sentence?

Thanks Fae πŸ˜€

• What I meant was, the obvious… not to post anything that is personal information in nature, because there are strange (not-normal) people out there too.

I thought that, I guess I just wasn’t sure sorry! I only post recipes and stories about animals and things like that on there so I think it’s OK. I will be mindful of it also though in the future.

Thanks for commenting Fae and I hope you are well πŸ˜€

32. Joanna says:

Judging by his last comment, he is just trying to bother you. Don’t let him have the satisfaction. Keep your page, block him. Delete his nonsense and move on. Your site is awesome and so are you!! xo

Thank you so much Joanna! You are so kind! I think you are right when I look now after the adrenaline has passed, I can see it is the childish words of someone trying to get a reaction and win an non existent war. I have blocked him and am looking forward to putting it behind me.

33. Dear Poppy, I’ve got a couple of comments on Sugarfree Sweetheart’s FB page saying “Yuck” and I was really annoyed about it, wondering as you did, why people show their disapproval in a such a useless way. As you can see from the loads of positive comments you’ve got on this post, you have a lot of true fans and supporters and I hope you keep working on your blog and facebook pages for all of these people and others like them! Forget about the negative commenters. If someone posts constructive criticism then you can respond and learn from it, but if there are just worthless negative statements, don’t waste your time, just hide/delete the comment and ignore it! πŸ™‚ Love and hugs!

Thank you so much lovely Priya. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve had horrible comments too, it is such a shame that people feel the need to be so hurtful.

I appreciate all the support so much and will not let this one incident overshadow all the wonderful people.

34. *hugs* Like you said – If you don’t like the content you don’t have to look at it – It seems like he’s even closed off from learning about a different lifestyle which is sad to me. I love what you do – and many others do too so the heck with a hater.

Thank you so much for the hugs and wonderful words. Heck with the hater indeed, I feel stronger today after such wonderful support from you all!

I agree, it is so very sad when people are closed off from learning about a different lifestyle or anything that is different from what society perceives as ‘normal’.

35. Hey Poppy, I completely understand you getting upset by this, it was so unnecessary, especially from someone who must surely already be aware of your life choices?! I had a comment recently too when someone said one of my recipes looked disgusting, I just deleted it and didn’t give them the air time. I would delete it all and continue with your page and your FB activities and continue to inspire those of us who love what you do xx

Elaine, thank you so much for your lovely words and for sharing your horrible experience too. Why do some people feel the need to be so damn nasty and go out of their way to hurt people? 😦

I have done just that – deleted, banned the culprit and am continuing with my head held high! And yes, I have been a vegetarian for 17 years and have known him for 12 years so I have always been the same, which was what was so shocking and confusing about it as he’s never ever said anything horrible about my lifestyle choices before. Hey ho, some people are just odd I guess.

I’m glad the nasty comment you received didn’t knock you down and for the record your recipes all look gorgeous, especially that aubergine romesco!! πŸ™‚

I have been judged throughout my life for what I have or haven’t eaten and it never ceases to amaze me what its got to do with anyone else?? Our choices are our own, we don’t force them on anyone we are merely enthusiastic about our food and so we share it. And that’s it! We don’t force anyone to read our blogs!!

So very true!! I guess some people just feel threatened or something and feel the need to make mountains over anything! πŸ˜€

• I think so too πŸ™‚

36. BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

oh, poppy, that guy was simply trolling you. ignore such messages please – ignore them altogether – for the sake of a better complexion and stuff πŸ˜‰

besides, your new blog design is really cool, will now click here and there to see what you did. but so far really thumbs up.

p.s.
    don’t feed the troll
    πŸ™‚

“ignore them altogether – for the sake of a better complexion and stuff” – you’re a genius and you made me laugh, thank you!!

I will not feed the troll any longer, he is now well and truly banned and nasty comments deleted!

I’m so glad you like the new design! πŸ˜€

• BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

that’s good. and when other trolls come in, better have a humorous reply handy (that you shoot before banning them, mwahaha).

re new design: really lovely, clean and minimalistic with the sweet handwritten touch. I think it suits you very much.
        one hint – maybe you know it already: your new theme seems not to cut posts anymore. there’s a button for that in your post editor! (do you know what I’m even babbling about?) πŸ˜‰

Hahaha yes that’s a good idea!!!

I’m really glad you like the new design, thank you. I think you mean that it shows the entire post on the homepage? If so, I hadn’t realised that so I will go and find the magic button now πŸ˜€ Thanks dear!

• BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

the magic button sits in the row between the “delete hyperlink” and the “proofreading” buttons! it’s called the “insert more tag”, which is a misleading name πŸ™‚

• BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

uhm, in the “write post” form of course πŸ˜€

I think you may have thought my ‘Hmmm…I’m not seeing any obvious button’ comment was a reply to your instruction but I sent that straight after the first comment! I knew you meant in the post editor – hehe! πŸ˜€ I’m going for a second look now!

• BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

uh oops πŸ˜€

Hehehehe! πŸ˜€ Got it all sorted now (well the first page worth of posts anyway!), thank you so much for teaching me about that, you are a star ❀

• BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

*blushing*
        xo

P.S. wordpress has comment hiccup. I apologise in advance if this comment arrived a dozen times 😦

No blushing necessary my dear! Don’t worry, it appears to have only arrived once! πŸ˜€ xx

Hmmm…I’m not seeing ny obvious button, I’m not quite sure what I’m looking for! πŸ˜€

37. Hungry City Hippy says:

Hi Poppy, I’m not vegan but I am really interested in veganism and slowly incorporating more and more principles in to my life – which is kind of how and why I started blogging! However, I have still only had the guts to invite a few of my friends to follow and read my blog because I know that there are some people out there who would think I am somehow doing something wrong by having my opinions about food and expressing them. Sometimes I wonder why I care so much! Your blog is great, and so are you! As one of my colleagues said to me when I showed him my blog “If you do get any negative comments I think you should ignore them; it’s the nature of what you do – you’re advocating this life style precisely because it is not widely adopted, in which case you will unfortunately always have detractors.” So keep on trucking, Poppy! πŸ™‚ x

Thank you for your wonderful comment. It’s really great that you are interested in veganism and are experimenting with it! It’s such a shame that you and so many of us feel ashamed of sharing our beliefs and ethics and the incident here today is precisely why we feel like that. But, I will keep going not only for myself but for the rest of us!

It sounds like your colleague is a very wise person and is totally right. Thank you for sharing that with me.

πŸ˜€ x

38. Lauzan says:

Hi Poppy, please do not delete your account (and not because I’ve just liked your FB page!). These things happens, some people just love to annoy and try to to get a reaction out of vegans. To me the best thing you can do is to be friendly and candid in your answers, as you did. I know it’s not easy but erasing your page would make him happy somehow… Just stay calm, and friendly for both yourself and the our blue planet! …furthermore, you can simply erase him if he starts to be really rude! Your blog is awesome!

Thank you so much for your kind comment and for liking my page!
      I will not delete the account, the amazing support from people such as yourself has made me see that one person’s negativity must not overshadow the kindness of the others.

I have now banned him from the page and deleted the comments and am ready to move forward with my lovely readers πŸ˜€

39. afellowsapient says:

Poppy, I’m sorry for your unpleasant experience. Just know that you are very well liked by many people in the blogging community. I hope this situation turns around for you and you can make peace with your in-law.

Thank you so much for your kind comment Karen. I too hope that in the future we will be able to make peace as I hate to have negative relationships!

πŸ˜€

40. thesnowwoman says:

Hi Poppy,
    I non-vegan, however, I respect and admire people who are vegan or vegetarian for various reasons. I try to dabble a little in those recipes also, and like seeing yours. This person is obviously immature and ignorant. You are a bigger person than him, don’t let someone like that pull you down. I would block him from your page and keep the page for people who are interested and respect you. Unfortunately this person isn’t a stranger, so it is harder to move past. Every family has at least one “special” person. I think you have found yours. I could only pity such a narrow minded fool. Try not to let this take up too much of your time and energy, he is the one with the problem.
    Hope you have a great day!
    Lori

Lori, thank you so much for your uplifting comment! You really made me smile! I think all that you say is totally true, there is always one and at least now I know so won’t get caught again.

I have now blocked him and am ready to move on from this childish incident.

Thank you.
      Poppy πŸ˜€

41. chef mimi says:

Oh boy. Well, I guess there’s one in every family. Perhaps he’d been drinking?

42. dropscone says:

Guy seems a bit immature, but maybe he’d had a rough day and took it as you getting at his lifestyle choices, even if you didn’t mean the invite in that way at all. Don’t take it to heart! Also, and to use a rather non-vegan metaphore, don’t forget you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar πŸ™‚ it’ll help keep all your relationships sweet if you continue to be as nice as pie (while eating nice vegan pie!).

Thanks for the advice and I totally agree! I think I got my back up and retaliated simply because this person is family as I didn’t expect it. But I have learnt valuable lessons and that’s a good thing!

Oh, and now I want to eat vegan pie! πŸ˜€

43. onehotveggie says:

I struggle with this issue as well! I had facebook and deleted the account and re-activated to help promote my blog. But just last night I told my husband I think I’ll be deleting it again. I think we can find other ways to market our blog and reach out to people. I love your blog and all your fun posts, you are an inspiring person, keep being you!!

I’m really sorry to hear that you have had facebook struggles too! It’s such a shame!
      Thank you so much for your kind words, I’m so pleased that you enjoy reading πŸ˜€

44. Serena says:

I am not a vegan, but respect people’s right to eat the way they choose and the way that makes them feel best both physically and spiritually. Just remember, no statues were ever erected for critics. Ignore those negative nellies and follow your bliss! πŸ™‚

45. Hi Poppy, I know lots of lovely people have already written but I I just wanted to say “please don’t delete your account!” πŸ™‚
    Some people are just a bit angry and sad… Don’t let it affect you as us followers always look forward to your lovely posts!! You are a great source of inspiration and I look forward to seeing your links and posts on Facebook too πŸ™‚ xxx

Thank you SO much Sophie for your lovely words of encouragement and support. I wont delete the account and will not let this childish incident hinder what I do!

I’m really glad that you enjoy reading πŸ˜€ xx

46. Ugh, the ignorance of some people when it comes to vegan lifestyles gives me headaches. I like to challenge people to rise up to the occasion of being understanding in a way that lets them feel like it was their idea in the first place. Be a vessel of love, truth, and positivity and that’s all – set an example of kindness and tolerance. I don’t even bother arguing or debating the topic because it’s futile. β€œA man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.” Anything that gets their defences up instantly closes any open-minded flexibility and curiosity. Even with people I never expected to relent in their opinions in the slightest, I’ve seen very surprising changes of heart in those around me by simply setting the example I want to set πŸ™‚ don’t let others’ ignorance bring you down, let it inspire you to shine brighter!

Thank you for your wonderful comment and very wise words indeed! ‘Kill them with kindness’ is I think what you are saying and I definitely think it’s a great approach and I will use this in future. I agree about the headaches, I literally have one!

Thank you for your advice and support. πŸ˜€

47. sarsparillav says:

Facebook sucks but I think Nathan was just trying to be a troll for comedic effect, to ruffle your feathers. I don’t think he was serious. Best solution is to ignore it and move on; you’ve got great recipes!

48. joteapies says:

So sorry to hear about this. Such a horrible thing to go through :/ I don’t understand why some people react like this… Calling vegans ‘fanatical’ is quite an ignorant thing to do really. Hope you’re alright! Stay strong and keep blogging πŸ™‚

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. It is totally ignorant and narrow minded and just inappropriate! I’m OK now after reading such lovely comments from all of you, my spirits are well and truly lifted!

49. PJ Sassifras says:

I am also a meat eater who thoroughly enjoys your blog especially for the recipes, but also for the posts about animal cruelty, etc. There’s no reason to delete your Facebook page. This is hurtful because it’s someone you know and you would expect they would be respectful towards your differences. I suspect this is why it bothered you so much. A simple “I’m sorry you feel that way. Thanks for stopping by.” Is a great way to diffuse the situation and walk away from the haters. He was pushing your buttons and you let him. You don’t have to defend your position or argue with trolls on your page. It’s YOUR page. πŸ™‚ If they become too obnoxious, block them. It’s not just Facebook, you’ll find it trolls live in every social media outlet. Keep doing what you’re doing. If you get a lot of trolls, it means you’re making a difference! Nobody antagonizes the folks speaking to an empty room.

50. Nikki Spigner says:

Poppy,

I hear where you are coming from, but perhaps you should just ignore and delete such postings–as you have the power as the editor of your facebook page. It is really clear to me that any hating of any kind–and because being vegan gets NONE of the reaction that being a feminist does, in my world–is fueled by attention. Think that you could have spent this post writing about something wonderful to share with your community. Instead, you were distracted by this interaction with your brother-in-law-to-be. He is not going anywhere, as he is family–but, assume that about many folks who use the internet to channel their negative energies (and rely on the distance and sense of anonymity that a computer screen provides, versus saying things directly to someone’s face). Do you want to feed those energies with your own or use your energy for your larger project?

Keep the facebook page and stop reacting to the baiting. Also, you can “ignore” the folks on facebook that you don’t want to see but you also don’t want to defriend (for whatever reasons). You get to decide how you interact. πŸ™‚

Warmest wishes to you, lady. Haters gonna hate.

Thank you so much for your comment Nikki. I totally hear what you are saying and I can see now that it got to me as it did more because it was a person I knew and had the shock and confusion to battle with as well as the anger and upset.

On the plus side (there is always a positive!), this has been an incredible learning experience for me and although yes, it’s such a shame I was so distracted by this, I was able to openly share my experience and give others a place to share theirs. So, I’m holding on to the good that came from it from now and if there is a next time, I will instantly delete and ignore and with great pleasure πŸ˜€

• Nikki Spigner says:

So glad that you can see the good and even learn from this kind of experience!! Kudos and here’s hoping you don’t even have to deal with it, again!!! xoxo

Thanks Nikki, I’m hoping for that too and the same for all other ‘minority’ groups who have to deal with this negativity!

xx

51. MiyoWratten says:

Very sad, clearly a troll. Even more sad that he will be joining your family. I question his wisdom in doing that to a future family member. Really, it shows his true nature and those who see his posts will see him for what he is. Please stay on FB. If you go away, vegans lose a beautiful voice, and his ugly attitude will have, in effect, won. Just block him, and if he manages to figure out how to harass you again, you can block him again and report him. I’ve not experienced harassment per se, but have had mean comments made to me, and have had people take my decision to be vegetarian very personally, which I’ve always found very odd because other than my blog, I keep very quiet. Hang in there. *hugs*

Thank you so much for your lovely message.
      I have now blocked him and deleted the posts and will not let him win and delete my facebook!

I’m totally with you on questioning his wisdom. but I guess every family has at least one oddball!

I’m sorry to hear that people have taken your decision to be vegetarian very personally, as a few have mentioned in previous comments – I think this says a lot about their insecurities with their own lifestyle choices. It’s the same psychology as the bully. Sad.

Thanks for the support πŸ˜€

52. Lola Rugula says:

I’m sorry to hear he’s going to be part of your family…what a jerk. Obviously you’ve already got a ton of great advice but I’ll give my two cents anyway – next time ignore or delete the comment. People like this just live and breathe for verbal sparring and aren’t worth your time or energy. Best to you!

53. That’s too bad. People are jerks. People who troll on Facebook tend to really be jerks. I gave up FB because it’s such a zoo. Google+ is the best place to hang for recipes, vegan discussions and news on everything (in my opinion). If you search out the vegan communities you’ll find a great resource for recipes and support. Look me up!

54. Much has already been said, I’m glad you didn’t delete the account and decided to block him instead. It’s sad that he had to judge you on choices you make in your life, that have no bearing on him whatsoever. It just speaks of his virtues or the lack of it.

Even though I’m not a vegan, I absolutely respect your choices. And going by the 100 or so odd comments, looks like I’m not the only one. πŸ™‚

Keep on doing what you believe in.
    Love and hugs πŸ™‚

Devz, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I am glad too that I didn’t delete the account and that I can now move forward in peace and continue sharing with my readers!

I really appreciate your kind words and support πŸ˜€

Hang in there, my dear friend! Speak it out with that friend if he is going to be your family soon! I can’t believ he is being so stupid about it! xx

56. I’m not vegan, but love your blog and it’s a shame people are so angry when others beliefs don’t match theirs. Keep on going, I’d miss your well informed opinions that are never intrusive.

57. afracooking says:

My honest opinion: give him a call and talk it over. As you say you have know him all your life and he will be in your life for ever. Reading your and his comments I just didn’t get why the conversation turned hostile so quickly (sorrry to say, but on both sides). So instead of turning him into vegan hater I am sure you can win him over one loving dish at a time πŸ™‚

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately he is not willing to discuss the matter which is not unsurprising given his clear narrow-mindedness on the matter.

I wouldn’t say I was ‘hostile’ but simply standing up for myself in an unprovoked, public, personal attack on my lifestyle choice and my work by somebody that I know. I was shocked, angry, sad and confused all in one go and at the time amidst the adrenaline and reading back now with my animal science hat on – all I wanted was to be firm, try and exert my dominance and make him go away.

Whilst I do appreciate your suggestions, I am afraid to say that he is already a vegan hater and continued to be vile after this, after I stopped responding. I’m afraid there are just some people who do not want to try and accept any differences and this person in question is one of those by his own admission.

There have been a few that I have been able to ‘win over one loving dish at a time’, but I guess we can’t win them all!

Poppy πŸ˜€

• afracooking says:

Dear Poppy,

I am so so sorry to hear this! It somehow still have the hope that this is not the final outcome πŸ™‚ I guess I feel that as your lives will be intertwined it would only be right that you both find a way to move beyond this. Especially as it is really not important of what he thinks of veganism – or even of you or you of him. The only thing that matters is how you deal with eachoter.
        I am so sorry that the two of you did not yet manage to find a way out together.
        So I am wishing the both of you all the best to find a way in this (either side by side or far away from eachother ;-> )
        Big warm hug
        Afra

Thank you Afra, I too am hoping that we can find a way to move forward. When I next see him, I will be as pleasant as I was before this happened and hope that he will do the same and we can just accept our differences and get on. We will see in time I guess but I will certainly do my bit!

Thanks for the hug Afra!

Poppy πŸ˜€

58. dweezer19 says:

I am so sorry for what happened with your acquaintance on the Facebook page. I deleted mine only three months after putting it up, but simply because I saw so much of this kind of thing going on and got tired of the rants and lack of similar interest. I have recently made a new page but am truly hesitant to do much on it. I have cold feet now. There are ways to ignore someone but I understand how you expressed feeling backed into a corner. There are times you can walk away and others where you feel you must counter to assert your right to be who you are. My oldest son is a Vegan since high school and fortunately for him he lives in a place-Lincoln, NE, where it is very common. But he has dealt with all the joking, ridicule and misunderstanding that goes along with a different choice of lifestyle than the “majority”. I am not vegan but am extremely health conscious and do my best to guide my habits to be friendly with the Earth. Even that gets me lots of ridicule, even to the point of people I work with exclaiming at lunch,” What in the world is THAT you are eating? ugggh.” Again, only so much ignoring a person can do when someone is up their face. I love you comics and the information you share and admire you for choosing a lifestyle that is healthy for both your children and the Earth. Remember we are always planting seeds…..:)

Thank you so much for your lovely message and for sharing some of your own experiences.

I am really sorry about your issues with Facebook. I found it to be a bit like ‘getting back on the horse’. I knew after all the wonderful feedback I got from my readers that I must not let this defeat me and make me delete my Facebook page but it took me a couple of days to get the ‘courage’ to get back to posting on there how I did before this.

I have really learnt from the experience and have realised that there will always be people who can’t help but inject a dose of negativity into someones life even if they are just innocently being who they are. We must not allow them to win. I am so glad you reinstated your Facebook and I’m sorry for the cold feet but I urge you to forget the bad and allow yourself to express yourself as you wish – that’s what they are doing (albeit inappropriately) after all.

I’m sad to hear of the ridicule you and your son have had to put up with but please remember, as I have been told with this experience – the bully bullies because of their own insecurities. You and your son are good people, trying to make a difference to our Earth and that threatens people unfortunately.

Thank you for your wonderful support πŸ˜€

• dweezer19 says:

Thanks for the encouragement. I avoid these circumstances because they tend to bring out the worst in me when I react. I guess ‘ll get there eventually. I do love g+ though. Keep up the great comics and posts. I love them.

Thank you so much, I’m so glad you enjoy reading!

I hear you about it bringing out the worst in you when you react, you’re definitely not alone there my friend πŸ˜€

59. Good for you for sticking up for yourself! Forget him… I understand it can get sticky being a future brother-in law. I have a brother- law like that, I just deleted him. Family or not you don’t have to put up with that.

60. Poppy you must have been completely gobsmacked by this moron. There really are a few a jerks out there. I am a meat eater myself but love vegan food. In fact I am Nathan probably eats a whole heap of vegan food without even realising. But the issue here is that he felt the need to post such hurtful comments to a fellow human. Please don’t let him drive you away from fbook – for every jerk out there there is a couple hundred of us niceys. X

Thank you for such an awesome comment!! And for being one of the niceys πŸ˜€

It is so true that people eat vegan food without even realising it and I’ve actually made vegan food for meat eaters before and not told them and they’ve been none the wiser. Nathan in fact gorged on vegan chocolate cookies and truffles and cakes and all sorts I made at Christmas. I thought telling him that might have just added fuel to his fire!!

I am still going strong on Facebook and not letting the meanies get me down! Thank you πŸ˜€ xx

61. Oh well.. when you start something, please remember there are fans, followers, haters, critics, mean people and so on.. you make friends and foe’s on your journey. so it is at your discretion to give either too much weightage to the person’s opinion or not, specially if they have destructive thoughts and it is always a good idea to ban them from making comments in public forums.
    I am a vegetarian and people make fun of it all the time and it doesn’t mean that you should run away from them. I personally, do not like if some one makes comment as to “didn’t your mother taught.. ” kind of lectures..not to deviate from topic.. just coz that person made some silly comment that hurt your morale doesn’t mean that you shut it down. You have a wonderful blog and follow what you believe is true to heart!

Hi, thank you for your comment and for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

To respond to your point – ‘I personally, do not like if some one makes comment as to β€œdidn’t your mother taught.. ” kind of lectures.’ – I know the person very well and have in fact known him since he was 6 years old and have known his mother for the same amount of time who is my mother in law. And so my comment to him was a reminder that I know his mother taught him better and would not and in fact, did not, approve of his behaviour.

Like you, I have battled with the teasing and arguments about vegetarianism for 17 years so I am well trained in not running from the ridicule, but the issue here was different. This was the first time I had experienced something like this in a public domain such as Facebook and also it was extremely unexpected of this person in particular. When there is a personal emotional attachment to the person hurting us, it is harder to let it go.

I have learnt from this experience however which is a very positive thing and I feel better prepared for anything like this in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Poppy πŸ˜€

62. Yes, this was really distasteful! Maybe you could send him a link for Atkins diet, so he could see for how long he may survive on just meat diet (if he is already against vegetarian stuff)

63. Babewyn says:

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a snit with the with one of your peeps. I think avioding cruelty in food is a pretty cool thing to try to do, and no, i ain’t vegan. My rule is, ya want meat? Here’s the chicken, if you can wring her neck she’s all yours, if you can’t put her down, and i will share my bowl of rice with both of you.

Have to admitt, i have written and received more vehment stuff myself, but as with lots of things i guess ya kinda had to be there to get the whole thing. I’ve been a rad-queer since my mid-teens, and that is a looooong time ago, Honey! I have insults for breakfast, Baby, and the only thing that ever helped was attitude, attitude, and more attitude.

And if that doesn’t help, no one is forcing you to like anyone. Agree not to get along, then at least you are agreed on one thing.

64. kimbieblue says:

Hi Poppy. I am not vegan – not even vegetarian! – but am a big fan of your blog (and food. And vegan food). This is disappointing to see, but unfortunately some people view vegans as this extremist group that are trying to convert meat eaters, and this is the result 😦

Even though I consume animals and animal products, I’m a strong believer in sustainable and ‘ethical’ meat production (ethical in the sense that animals are treated well and with respect up to the point they are slaughtered. I’m sure your idea of ethical is quite a bit different in that regard). In that respect I think there is a lot that vegans and non-vegans alike can work on together to ensure a better standard for animals.

I know I’m a bit late seeing this but I’m glad I did! Now I can like your Facebook page and share it with like-minded people. Keep up the great work. πŸ™‚

Thank you so much for your wonderful message! It is really great to have your support, especially as a non-vegan. I completely agree that there are many ways vegans and non vegan can and should work together, and, well, if we can’t even do that then what hope have the animals got for better treatment?! 😦

Thank you!

• kimbieblue says:

Absolutely! Without cooperation on both sides there would be no progress anywhere! Your ‘friend’ is missing out on some wonderful food and diy home projects – his loss. xo

You’re so kind, thank you for making me smile. People like you make these bad experiences seem so irrelevant πŸ™‚ x