A Note to Myself

Some good old fashioned motivation…

NOT THIS!

↓↓↓

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep healthy?

This entry was posted in vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to A Note to Myself

1. Melissa says:

I’ve found that if it is in the house, I’m eating it. So all I can do is not have junk around at all. And if I bake I share the goods around so I’m not eating it all myself 🙂

2. In the end, out of sight out of mind. If there is no junk in the house, there will be no junk in your mouth.

Regards,
    Clifford Mitchem
    AdvoCare Distributor
    Nutrition + Fitness = Health

3. Haha, that’s a funny one though! I agree, if I have it in the house, I eat it, so I just (try) to shop healthy as much as possible. And I try to avoid sugar because when I have it even two days in a row, I’m hooked! I try to remember how much better I feel when I keep it healthy. 🙂

4. MamaD1xx4xy says:

Ah, the age old problem of self control! I did better before kids. Now with three boys who can eat any and everything it is difficult!

I can imagine that is tough! I dread to think what I’d be like if I had little ones, I’m bad enough now!! 😀

• I have a 5 year old who sometimes likes to announce that he “loves sugar”, lol, so I empathize with the problem of having people in the house who (seemingly) can eat whatever they want. However, I must say Poppy, that since we changed to a whole-foods, plant-based diet when my son was just turned 3, the process has been a whole lot easier. Although my son does consume some of the “white stuff”, I have not eaten any refined sugars for over a year now. I satisfy myself (mostly in moderation – except for raw chocolate macaroons – can’t keep them in the house) with homemade desserts with maple syrup and honey. If my son has “traditional” white sugar desserts, it is at a birthday party or out somewhere. That way, he is not “deprived” and resenting our “different” diet and momma here is satisfied and not tempted! So far so good … check back with me when he is a teenager! lol.

Haha, the last sentence made me giggle! I don’t use white sugar but I do use unrefined brown sugars for baking sometimes but am gradually cutting back more and more to use stevia or maple or agave and try to just use the amount that may be needed for structure in a recipe. I’ve been satisfying my sweet tooth with dried cranberries lately and it’s really worked and even a small glass of grape juice sweetened almond milk can feel like a treat! 😀

• Grape juice sweetened almond milk??? Wow, I would never have thought of that … Do you use just a splash??

The stuff I buy is grape juice sweetened! I don’t do it myself although, I’m sure you could!!

• Ah, lol! The only kinds we have in our supermarket are cane juice sweetened. Thanks for clarifying!

5. Great advise! Thanks for reminding us Poppy!

6. Ha! That’s hilarious. Does it help? I make sure I factor in at least a bite sized treat every single day (100 calories or so.) If I don’t get it, I’m wayyyyyyyyy more likely to think, ‘oh, eff it, I’m going to make and consume an entire cake’. And I try and make sure that the healthy things that I eat are only things that I LOVE. That way I’m less likely to look for satisfaction in more sugary, fatty places!

Hehe!! Honestly, it has saved me on a few occasions already! Like you, I allow myself a little treat but it’s when I go back for more that this little note kicks me into gear!!

You’re so right about the healthy things that you eat being only things that you love, that way you don’t feel that you are depriving yourself!! I don’t do well when I feel deprived! 😀

7. Hi Poppy, this is a very interesting discussion, cravings and where they come from, how to read / deal with them..
    On one hand, I have found that when eating healthy, whole foods I have less cravings, on another, when the sweet tooth makes some sugary demands, I try and figure out if it’s related to some emotional issue or caused by some imbalance in my diet.
    Either way, I try to stick to whole foods that are naturally sweet (dates or dried apricots with toasted almonds are one of my favourite cake replacement).
    There’s this article by Annemarie Colbin that I find is really interesting and in some ways, helpful. (http://www.foodandhealing.com/articles/article-sugar.htm)

Hi Sil, thank you so much for your very helpful comment. I do try to listen to my body as you say, at times I crave oranges and spinach to a point that I must have them and so I am sure the cravings are related to a need for a nutrient like vitamin C for example.

My sugary cravings are often either due to an emotional issue (I’m someone who gains appetite when stressed or down) or more often, tiredness! I have discovered that a small handful of dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds is a great, whole and healthy way to soothe those cravings!

I will check out the article, thank you.

Poppy 😀

8. Ngan R. says:

I try to stay healthy and fit so I won’t have to buy new clothes! Lol. I really dislike clothes shopping!

Hahahaha that’s such good motivation!! I am with you, I don’t like going clothes shopping, thank God for online shopping!! Put me in a cookware shop or supermarket however and I can stay there forever (please)!

Such a great post, very interesting & inspiring too. 😀

10. Hehe – for me one leads to ten!!!! I should put that note on my fridge too! By the way, I love the new look of your blog – it’s SO cute! Celeste 🙂

11. Poppy, you are really motivating. Thank you. I was just trying to come up with a motivation post about running a 50k race this weekend. So thank you. Needed motivation for motivation. Does that make sense??

Susie. Wow. Just the fact that you are running a 50k race has given me incredible motivation! What an amazing achievement. I ‘ran’ a 5k once and crawled half of it! You are a real inspiration!!
      And yes, that totally makes sense 😀

12. piyushpujara says:

off course eat whatever you want..
    🙂