Vegan Cheesy Bean Quesadillas

img_4084

Like most people, I don’t always have time or energy to cook an extensive gourmet meal in the evenings but I still want a balanced, healthy meal with fresh ingredients that tastes great and nourishes my body.

Mexican food seems to be less popular in the UK than somewhere like the US but it is a cuisine which I have always enjoyed and would often eat in restaurants. At home, my Mexican repertoire has largely been limited to vegetable fajitas which were made even more delicious last year with my discovery of tomatillos which took salsa to a whole new level.

I’ve often seen Mexican dinner kits in supermarkets but was never really inclined to buy them. Recently, however, I came across an Old El Paso recipe for Spicy bean and cheese quesadillas which inspired me to break out of my Mexican food comfort zone and try a new recipe which I could easily make vegan.

The result? Not only were these delicious Mexican toasties a welcome, delicious change from fajitas, but they were fun to make and eat too! I think they would be a great dish to serve at a garden gathering in the summer but the spices and hearty beans are perfect for a warming winter meal too.

img_4068

I tried to flip the first one to crisp both sides. It was quite the disaster! After that, I decided to place one tortilla in the pan to crisp first, remove it, add in another tortilla with the filling then top with the first crisped tortilla.

I used the moxarella from Vedged Out as the cheese replacement but next time will try the almond feta also. You could use any vegan cheese of your choice or simply leave it out. The moxarella didn’t crisp up as it does on pizza of course, not being directly exposed to heat, but it added delicious creaminess against the spicy beans.

Ingredients: Serves 4

• 1 x Old El Paso Quesadilla Dinner Kit (or use 8 tortillas, your favourite salsa and mexican spice blend or simply chilli powder, ground cumin and dried oregano)
  • 2 x 400g cans mixed beans, drained (I used kidney beans and black eye beans)
  • 1 onion, sliced into rings
  • 150g mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
  • 1 orange or yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
  • A handful of chopped coriander (about 15g)
  • 1 batch of moxarella or almond feta or around 150g of vegan cheese of your choice
  • 2 tomatoes (optional)

1. Heat a teaspoon of oil or cooking spray or a little water in a frying pan and cook the onions, peppers and mushrooms for a few minutes over a high heat to soften and lightly colour. Stir in the spice mix and the beans and 100 ml water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, and then stir in the chopped coriander.
  2. Heat a large frying pan or griddle pan and add a tortilla and heat until the underside is crisp to your liking then remove. Add another tortilla and spread with some of the salsa followed by a quarter of the bean mixture and the vegan cheese, and slices of tomato if using. Then place the first tortilla on top, toasted side up. Press down with a spatula and cook over a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes until toasted underneath.
  3. Cut into wedges and keep warm under foil or in a low oven whilst you make the rest then serve with a fresh, crisp salad.

Fotor012614333

Calorie Count :: New Recipe

Nutrition based on the recipe made with the moxarella without oil.

Nutritional Benefits

Low in saturated fat
No cholesterol
High in dietary fiber
High in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin C
This entry was posted in Egg-free, Mains, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Vegan Cheesy Bean Quesadillas

1. Susan says:

This is inspiration for my upcoming Face Off – looks tasty!

My kind of simple meal! I’m sure my son would love these too. Love the idea of the crispy tortillas. 🙂

3. 18.8 grams of protein? Nice! I’m trying to make gains now and always looking for new meal ideas. Looks yummy!

Absolutely! Beans are a great source of protein and you could up it by adding extra protein rich foods if you wish, it’s a great canvas for experimentation! I think something like marinated tempeh would be gorgeous in here too! 🙂

4. saucygander says:

The beans mixture looks great, we are having more vegetarian and vegan dinners, and this will go on the recipes list.

5. That’s my kind of fast food!! Lovely ☺️

6. drgreen1969 says:

Watch my blog I will be posting a taco spice blend in the coming days that is far superior to any store bought blend

7. MamaD1xx4xy says:

My boys LOVE quesadillas and I put beans in everything! These look great.

8. Rachel in Veganland says:

Quesadillas are probably one of my most favorite things to eat. I love them stuffed with veggies especially! Yours look simply divine!

Thank you so much Rachel. I’m so glad I tried making them myself for the first time. They were so yummy and so much easier to make than I thought 🙂

9. Those look like amazing quesadillas! How tasty!

10. Pingback: Vegan Cheesy Bean Quesadillas

11. They look delicious, hearty, and healthy! It’s out of my quesadilla comfort zone too, but I’d still consider it comfort food!

12. Deena Kakaya says:

This is just the loveliness my boy enjoys, good job it’s packed with the good stuff x

13. Ahila says:

Hi Poppy, I am aware that you have been awarded the Shine on award several times but I wanted to nominate you for the award as well (http://wp.me/p3Nc97-l0) as I wish you many more years of posting creative and innovative vegan recipes plus photos of your cute cats.

Thank you so very much lovely Ahila, that is really special. I am so glad that you enjoy the recipes and pictures of the cats! Congrats to you on being awarded also x

14. Sharon Holistic Living says:

I was planning on making some this week so your recipe came at the perfect time. Thanks for sharing.

15. Reblogged this on Your Gifts Galore by Labella Baskets and commented:
    I love this I have recently turn over a new healthy eating habit and I LOVE Mexican foodso thanks for this recipe.

16. annascuisine says:

Mm.. So appetizinga and healthy! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

17. tamsinmacarthur says:

I love the look of these, do you know what sort of places sell the cheese? Thanks:)

Hi Tamsin, the moxarella and almond feta are homemade and if you click on the links in the ingredients list you will be taken to the recipes. Both are incredibly easy, simple and don’t require fancy ingredients or equipment. Or you can find ready made vegan cheeses in health foods shops, some supermarkets and online. I hope that helps! Poppy 🙂

18. My parents have a mexican restaurant and another really good way to cook quesadiallas is to pan fry them. Just thought I’d share! Look delicious as they are though x

Hi, I did pan fry them but without oil as I prefer little oil and I prefer them less greasy! How lucky you are that your parents have a Mexican restaurant 😀