Photo 13-12-2013 00 59 46

It’s getting close! 10 days to go until Christmas is upon us. It seems so near but there is still plenty of time to rustle up a few handmade gifts for the special people in your life.

Food lovers will love chilli oil and raspberry vinegar wrapped in tissue paper in a pretty gift bag and perhaps a little box of Christmas Pudding Truffles or a jar of spice rub.

Anyone who loves to relax, unwind and take a long soak in the bath will love a homemade scented candle. These are a great gift for guys too, peppermint seems to be a male scent favourite or if they have a love for sweets (like Mat) then vanilla goes down well. Don’t be fooled, men love candlelit baths too! But maybe pass on the glitter…

Those who love to pamper will  be grateful for some body nourishing treats. Make rich sugar scrubs that smell good enough to eat or try these fun gifts below, easy natural soaps, bath salts and salt foot scrub.

Fotor1214231859

Soap

So simple yet so personal and effective. Make it extra special by wrapping in pretty ribbons and tissue paper, or, if you’re brave enough, I use toilet roll tubes to make little gift boxes!

Fotor121510014

All you need is a natural, animal free soap base which can be found online or in many craft stores, essential oil and any add in’s like dried flowers, seeds or oats. Use various things to mould like mini Tupperware boxes, mini loaf tins or even ice cube trays!

Fotor12151246

You can pick up proper designed moulds quite inexpensively too. Just be sure your mould isn’t a thin plastic that will melt from the hot soap.

2013-12-09 23.30.28

Simply cut your soap into cubes and melt gently in a pan on a low heat or in the microwave. Try not to stir it too much or you will get a build up of froth which is hard to get rid of. Once melted add in a few drops of essential oil (about 6 drops per 100g/30 drops per pound but this will depend on the scent, strength and quality of the oil used so add gradually and use your judgement) and gently stir. Slowly pour into moulds and leave to set at room temperature before easing out and wrapping. To add dried flowers and other exfoliating products, I find it best to pour a little soap in the mould, add the add ins then add more soap and repeat. This ensures an even distribution.

Fotor121510221

Be adventurous with flavour combinations, mine included lavender, oat and almond, lavender and jasmine, grapefruit, wild fig, hazelnut and elderflower.

Fotor121510416Fotor121510548

Bath Salts

Photo 13-12-2013 00 58 01

These luxurious bath salts can be mixed up in a matter of minutes yet offer a luxurious bath soak experience. I use screw top spice jars which are the perfect size and paint old jar lids to make them more exciting. You could make an extra special gift by giving a selection of three jars in different scents in a gift box or add to a hamper full of goodies!

All you need to make 2 1/2 cups/625ml worth is 2 cups (500ml) sea salt (or rock or table salt), 1/2 cup (125ml) bicarbonate of soda, 15 drops essential oil, add in’s like dried flowers, edible glitter (this dissolves easier than standard glitter) and citrus zest and glass or plastic jars.

Simply mix together the salts and bicarbonate of soda then blend in the essential oil followed by any add ins. Divide between jars and label. I made Grapefruit and Orange salts with grapefruit essential oil and orange zest; Lavender with lavender essential oil, purple edible glitter and dried lavender flowers; Wild Fig and Ylang Ylang with Wild Fig and Ylang Ylang essential oils and purple edible glitter.

Download my free printable labels for the Grapefruit and Orange and Wild Fig and Ylang Ylang bath salts here

Lavender bath salt labels available via lia griffith Photo 13-12-2013 00 55 42

Salt Foot Scrub

This is a gift which will be especially appreciated by your Christmas host (yes, make some for yourself if you are the host!) who can have a soothing foot scrub after a long day on their feet in the kitchen. Of course, anyone who likes to keep their feet soft and polished will love this refreshing and awakening scrub, especially those who work long hours on their feet.

All you need to make 2 cups/500ml is 2 cups (500ml) salt (sea salt is best but any will do), 6 tbsp almond oil (or coconut, olive or other vegetable oil), 15 drops peppermint essential oil and optional 3 drops natural plant based green colouring.

Simply mix the salt and oil until all the grains are coated then work in the essential oil until combined followed by the colouring if using. Place in glass or plastic jars and label.

Download my free printable labels for the Peppermint Foot Scrub here and the lid labels here

Photo 13-12-2013 00 56 07

Foot scrub label image created based on an image from DIY Confessions

This entry was posted in Christmas, DIY, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to DIY Christmas: Beauty Gifts – Soap, Bath Salts and Salt Foot Scrub with Printable Labels

1. radhika25 says:

That is beautiful! I make baths scrubs too! I love your soaps and your bottles, and your labels!
    R

2. amygilley says:

I’ve always wanted to make a scrub as a present! Your recipes have inspired me. Thanks!
    Amy

3. Poppy, you are so creative and talented! Love those labels and gifts. Gotta try it out myself one of these days! 🙂

4. Monetta says:

Poppy I am beginning to think that you don’t sleep. Where do you find the time to do all this. You’re amazing.

5. Jenny B says:

I can’t wait to try these! These are absolutely gorgeous!

6. Those soaps look really lovely and I love the idea of using loo roll tubes like little gift boxes!! 🙂

7. Wow Poppy, you are so creative and multitalented, not to mention motivated and ambitious! Your friends& family are so lucky to be the recipients of these lovely gifts.

8. Oh my goodness ! Never knew making bath salts would be that easy! I’m not sure about gifting but I’m definitely making them for myself! Thanks for sharing! Much love, Radhika. Foodtravelfashion.

You are amazing! So creative. I love all the ideas! I hope to have time to make some homemade goodies besides food this year. 🙂

10. Pingback: December Awards and Christmas chocolate ideas! | Superfoodista

11. I always make homemade gifts for people but have never ventured into making bath products. Such creative ideas! I’ll have to tuck these ideas away for next year.

12. Wonderful ideas Poppy!! I love making homemade gifts for Christmas, but I’m so busy this year helping my sis plan her December 27th wedding that I won’t have time this year. I’m gonna bookmark this post for future gifts, however. Have a lovely week! Celeste 🙂

Wow, Celeste a December 27th wedding! I bet you are all so busy! What an amazing time to get married, I’m sure you will have a wonderful time. I hope you get to try some of these in the future. Good luck with all the planning! 😀

13. These are really cute and more meaningful than what you can pick up in a store (though I wouldn’t say turn up my nose to a store bought gift either 😉 )

14. Wow this is fantastic! I will be sure to try some of these out! The would make wonderful gifts!

15. Love, love, love these great gifts, and nothing says love like DIY. 🙂

16. Wow, I love the idea of DIY soap! The labels and packaging are really pretty as well. It’d be fun to try making these sometime. Also, thank you for stopping by my blog, I hope you’ll be visiting again soon. 🙂

17. Pingback: 10 Last Minute DIY Christmas Gifts! | Honk If You're Vegan

18. Pingback: Homemade Christmas Gift – Part II: Peanut Snowballs (vegan, sugar-free) | Silk and Spice

19. What a COOL non-consumerist idea! Will keep in mind for next Christmas to have some variation to the usual baked goods.

20. Jen says:

Poppy, thanks so much for liking my sourdough post. There is more to come! I really like your site too! I’m not vegan, but you have lots of great ideas for everyone!
    Be sure to check back at jensthisnthat.com for more sourdough updates.

21. Tammy says:

This is great! I have been looking for a good instructional post on soaps 🙂

22. Celestia says:

Love this! Thanks for posting. I do a lot of work with essential oils and this totally inspires me. What kind of essential oils do you use? I love doTERRA. Have you tried them? Have a beautiful day!

Thank you. I love using essential oils wherever I can. I use Tisserand mostly, I haven’t tried doTERRA, it’s quite beyond my budget!
      Have a beautiful day too 😀

23. milkandbun says:

those really lovely presents for friends:)

24. Pingback: Handla burkar | mittlivsomfemtio