A Christmas Side – Sesame and Soy Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I know many people have an aversion to Brussels sprouts. This way of cooking them relieves any risk of over-boiled, waterlogged sprouts which definitely wont convert any haters around your Christmas table.

Roasting the sprouts intensifies their flavour and brings out a sweetness which is washed away by boiling. The hint of sesame and soy adds a wonderful savoury, umami taste which really makes the humble Brussels sprout something to celebrate in your Christmas spread.

Ingredients: Serves 4

• 400g brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed if necessary and halved
  • 2tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
  • 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 200’C/400’F.
  2. Halve the sprouts vertically through the stem. Place in an ovenproof dish where they won’t be crowded and drizzle over the oil, soy sauce and pepper. Stir to coat the sprouts.
  3. Roast for about 20 minutes until golden and brown and crispy in places and tender when pierced with a knife.

Calorie Count :: New Recipe

Nutritional Benefits

No cholesterol
Very high in dietary fiber
High in iron
High in manganese
High in phosphorus
High in potassium
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin A
High in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin C
This entry was posted in Christmas, Side dishes, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to A Christmas Side – Sesame and Soy Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1. Mmm..what a lovely way to cook the unloved sprout x

2. vannillarock says:

love sesame oil, soy sauce, but am glad brussel sprouts only make a brief seasonal appearance! this,however, sounds good.

3. Sound delicious, thanks for sharing !

4. Idara Wolf says:

I usually make them this way. With liquid amino for lower sodium. Yum! Nice pictures.

5. kate magee says:

Lev the dreaded sprouts – especially roasted! Usually toss them in balsamic vinegar before roasting but will definitely be trying out the sesame & soy combo. Thanks for sharing!

6. Yummo! Now that’s a delicious and healthy side-dish!

7. knitsbysachi says:

I never tried Brussel sprouts. Always wondered how you prepare them. Thank you for the recipe. I will have a go.

8. vivster81 says:

Reblogged this on Recipes in the Cloud! and commented:
    got to try this!

9. Bridget says:

I’m one of those who LOVE Brussel Sprouts – delish!!

10. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe…I will trying this out for sure!

11. You have my interest piqued!! I love Brussels sprouts… I am definitely trying this. Yum. ❤

12. MamaD1xx4xy says:

We all love the sprouts and have been eating them a lot lately! My boys even say “mm, I love Brussels sprouts” when I say we are having them for dinner! Music to my ears. We also roast them. These look great.

That’s fantastic that your boys love sprouts – what a lucky mum you are! The only way I’ve had my nephews try them is by calling them baby cabbages! 😀

13. Roasted sprouts? One word – yum!!!

14. Mmmmm, I love Brussels sprouts! My favorite way of preparing (and eating) them is also roasted, with chopped onions, sesame seeds, crushed walnuts, pepper, paprika and barley malt syrup. Non-vegans can use honey, too. It is sooo yummy! 🙂

15. Thanks for this great recipe Poppy! I also don’t like the brussel sprouts too much boiled – but roasted like this, they are fantastic! they are really super trendy here in the US – thanks for sharing this great recipe, now I finally can make them at home! 😉 hugs, Sylvia

Hey Sylvia. I had no idea sprouts were super trendy in the US! I have found that many people hate boiled sprouts but love them roasted golden and crispy! It’s almost like a completely different vegetable! 😀

16. brussel sprouts are much more delicious than their reputation makes them out to be…I’m glad someone agrees!

17. Serena says:

I’m always looking for ways to worship my beloved brussel sprouts! Thanks for sharing!

18. I’m not going to lie, I used to not be very fond of brussel sprouts, but these look and sound amazing! I will be sure to try this!

Thanks for being honest! I know many people who hate them! They have a completely different taste and texture when roasted so you never know, you may be converted 😉

19. nowathome says:

I love Brussels sprout and will try this recipe too! Perhaps you can have a look at my recipe for them too: http://nowathome.wordpress.com/?s=brussels+sprouts

20. saplingvegan says:

Well I think I may just try this tonight!

21. Hi Poppy,
    Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Dragon’s Loyalty Award. I love the way you write and your photographs and wish you much success. http://kitchenfeasts.com/2014/01/06/another-award-nomination/

22. thebrookcook says:

This sounds great! I roast everything – but not with sesame oil and soy sauce- I can taste it already 🙂

23. sparklaur says:

I love Brussels sprouts, and these look delicious!