I adore the flavours of fruit mincemeat. It is the quintessential taste of Christmas with it’s warm, sweet spicing and plump, juicy fruit.
It follows that I also adore mince pies and have very little control when I and they are in the same vicinity. These cake bars are the answer for me. I get the gorgeous flavour of Christmas in a perfectly portable, easy to grab and easy to make, fat free cake bar! These are fit for breakfast unlike the pie alternative which would have me consuming 4 mince pies before 10 am!
These bars are so much quicker and easier to make than mince pies. Unless you go down the pre-made everything route (which I prefer not to), it’s making pastry, chilling pastry, rolling pastry, cutting out pastry, filling pastry, topping with lids, glazing, baking. All a bit too much for an everyday Christmassy treat in the lead up to the festive days. I’ll leave the more time consuming mince pies for the big day, when I will allow myself to consume as many as I like without feeling guilty! As for now, I’ve got all the flavour without the fat and calories and with so much more ease.
These would also be a welcome addition to a Christmas spread, along with or instead of mince pies.
I used a fat free mincemeat recipe and subbed the alcohol for apple juice. If you prefer to use ready made, which I do for the most part, nowadays it’s pretty easy to find vegan friendly mincemeat as the traditional use of beef suet is less common. Most ready made versions contain vegetable suet however so therefore the bars would no longer be fat free.
Ingredients: Makes 12 bars
- 4 flax eggs (4 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 180ml/3/4 cup water and refrigerated until gelled)
- 250g/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 450g/16 oz (around 1 jar) vegetarian mincemeat
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 50g/1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180’C/350’F and line an 8 inch square tin with parchment.
- Mix the flax and water and placing in the fridge.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the flax gel, mincemeat, agave syrup, almond extract and almonds. Once combined, pour into the tin and level.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin then cut into twelve bars.
Very low in sodium
Very low in sugar