A Great British traditional steamed pudding is simply a wonderful thing. For many of us, it is the ultimate comfort dessert, a dense, sweet, sponge with a generous helping of custard.
I adore steamed puddings, especially jam roly poly or syrup sponge. Of course, they are not a healthy choice so they make a nice wintry treat only on occasion.
This pudding is so much lighter than traditional versions with a wonderful extra moist, dense texture from the pumpkin and cornmeal with a wonderful orange hue. Studded with raisins, and drizzled with syrup, this is a sweet sensation which is perfectly matched to creamy vegan custard. I love Alpro brand, or you could serve it with vegan cream or ice cream, or simply as it is.
This is definitely a deliciously different way to use those squashes storing in your kitchen. This would make a great alternative to Christmas pudding.
Ingredients: Serves 8
- 175g/1 1/4 cups plain wholewheat pastry flour (or use white)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 125g/1/2 cup+2tbsp unrefined dark brown soft sugar
- 70g/1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 175g/1 cup raisins
- 300g/1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1.5 tsp stevia liquid (or omit this and use 200g/1 cup sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 125ml/1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the sugar, cornmeal, and raisins.
- In another bowl, mix together the pumpkin, stevia, vanilla, oil, and milk. Mix this into the dry ingredients and mix just until it’s combined but don’t beat.
- Pour the batter into a greased 1.2 litre or 2 pint pudding basin until 2/3 full. Cover the pan tightly with foil and steam over simmering water in a covered pot for 1 and 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted comes out without wet batter but a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the basin from the steamer and cool for 5 minutes before loosening the sides with a palette knife and inverting on a plate. Drizzle with the syrup and serve immediately.
- You can make this 2 days in advance and re-steam for 30 minutes before serving.
High in manganese
Very high in vitamin A