Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
I’m still working through my box full of pumpkin and squash living in my bedroom cupboard. I’m loving trying pumpkin in ways never known to me before.
Sweet squash is relatively new to me. I fell in love with Annie of An Unrefined Vegan’s Maple Pumpkin Spice Quick bread which opened my eyes to a world of pumpkin uses.
I have recently made the more familiar roast pumpkin pasta dishes, pumpkin curries and pot pies to the more novel pumpkin cheesecake and tonight, to celebrate halloween, these delicious chocolate chip muffins!
Surprisingly, I have had no trick or treaters at the door tonight which is a shame. Perhaps I should have advertised my willingness more so that I could have shared my muffins with the children!
Mat and I are off to Worcestershire tomorrow for a fancy dress party, I am going to bake pumpkin cupcakes with pumpkin frosting and top with these awesome cupcake topper printables! Maybe even some witches finger cookies too!
Ingredients: Makes 12
- 1 tbsp flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 150g/1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 250ml/1 cup non dairy milk mixed with 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 50g/1/4 cup unrefined dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp liquid stevia concentrate (or another 50g/1/4 cup sugar)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 210g/1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 65g/1/2 cup barley flakes (or oats)
- 100g/1/2 cup non dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 190’c/375’f and line a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Mix the flax and water in a large bowl – let rest for 5 minutes until it has become gelatinous.
- Add the pumpkin puree, milk and vinegar, sugar, stevia, oil, and vanilla extract and whisk together. Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and spices and whisk.
- Gradually sift the flour over the wet ingredients and fold through. Add the barley flakes and chocolate chips and stir lightly until just incorporated.
- Divide between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Very high in vitamin A