The Daring Bakers – Pumpkin Pot Pie with Pumpkin Pastry – Fat Free!

Hannah of Rise and Shine was our October 2013 Daring Bakers’ hostess and she challenged us to bake our own double crusted savory pot pies. Using any from-scratch crust and filling we choose, we were allowed to get completely creative with our recipe, showing off the savory flavors and fillings from our own home or region.

This was a fun experiment to use my bedroom cupboard full of various pumpkins and squash! I decided the have a go on a whim at making a sort of pastry with just squash puree and was really surprisingly pleased with the result. It crisped up beautifully and turned a gorgeous golden hue without any glaze before baking. The texture was, of course, not a ‘buttery’, flaky, short crust but it was delicious in it’s own right without making comparison. It was crisp and slightly chewy, something akin to a crusty french bread or a chewy pizza dough. It was delicious, especially for a fat free, creamy pie!

When I made this, I roasted the pumpkin seeds and added them to the sauce. This seemed like a good idea and I was happy to use every bit of the squash, however, the seeds were inedible chewy and ‘bitty’ and generally unpleasant. I was really surprised by this, any thoughts?

I’ve left that part out of the recipe!

Fotor0102202051

Ingredients: Makes 6 individual pies or a large pie.

• 1kg (approx) pumpkin or similar squash
  • 250ml/1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
  • 1 tbsp cornflour
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp dried sage or 2 tbsp fresh
  • a handful of green veg like green beans, kale or spinach
  • 250g/2 cups plain flour
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 200’c/400’f. Halve and de-seed the pumpkin, halve again and place on a baking tray. Roast for about 30 minutes or until the flesh is very soft. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
  2. Whilst the pumpkin is cooling you can make the sauce to make the assembly come together quicker. Simply add all but 2 tbsp of the milk to a pan and heat gently to almost boiling. Mix the remaining cold milk with the corn flour in a small bowl and then whisk into the hot milk. Keep stirring until the sauce begins to thicken, eanwhile adding the sage, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Once thickened, cover and set aside.
  3. Once the pumpkin has cooled, make the pastry. Weigh out 250g of the pumpkin flesh and mash really smooth, add to the flour and bring together into a dough with a pinch of salt and pepper, add a little water by the drop if the dough feels dry, it should be supple but not sticky. Cover in cling film and place in the fridge.
  4. Steam or boil the green veg. Scoop spoonfuls of the remaining pumpkin, trying to keep them chunky and gently stir through the white sauce with the green veg.
  5. Halve the pastry and roll one piece out to make the bottoms, about half a cm thick, and line the pie tins (individual or a 8-9 inch large tin), pricking the base with a fork and pressing the dough right into the edges. Roll the top layer. Fill with the pumpkin mixture, brush a dab of water around the edge of the pastry then ease the top layer of pastry over the top and seal the edges together.
  6. Bake at 200’c for 20-30 minutes, just until the pastry is golden and crisp.
Calorie Count :: New Recipe

caloriecount.com

Nutritional Benefits

No saturated fat
No cholesterol
Very low in sodium
High in dietary fiber
High in iron
High in selenium
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin A
This entry was posted in Daring Bakers, Mains, Pastries, Tarts and Pies, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to The Daring Bakers – Pumpkin Pot Pie with Pumpkin Pastry – Fat Free!

1. How does something that looks that good actually manage to be healthy?

2. Violet says:

Pumpkin & pie, my most fave things for fall time. Thanks for another yummy recipe! 🙂

3. Those pies look incredible! I’ve no idea of the type of pie tray you’re using but the fact there’s filling within the pie crust itself just looks so edible. And I would never have thought to use pumpkin within the pastry. As for the seeds…I’ve just made pesto earlier today with roasted and roughly chopped organic pumpkin seeds and those were fine. Really nice and crunchy when they should’ve been. I’ve never tried drying out and roasting seeds from a pumpkin – maybe that’s it. Perhaps you would need to dry them first. Otherwise, like some nuts, they would be too raw in taste – regardless of roasting them.

It’s just a standard cratered tin, like a muffin tin but the holes are bigger! I think the filling in the crust was just where it seeped over when I was sealling the lids!
      After some research it would appear that I haven’t roasted the seeds for long enough! Thank you for your advice 😀

4. dropscone says:

This may be a silly question, but did you husk the seeds or just put them straight in after removing them from the pumpkin? Unless it’s an immature plant the seed coatings are pretty tough and need splitting open, and the centre would be the edible part.

Hi, thank you for your comment! No I did not husk the seeds as the sources I had seen previously did not do this. I have since looked at a tutorial which doesn’t husk the seeds but roasts them for much longer than I did, so I think perhaps this is where I went wrong…do you husk your seeds?

• dropscone says:

Yeah, if I wanted to eat pumkin seeds from a large, mature pumpkin, I’d take off the tough outer layer of the seeds. The pumpkin seeds you can buy commercially are generally just the inner seed.

I will try it that way too and see which works best for me! Thank you 😀

5. dropscone says:

I forgot to say that the pies do look and sound delicious though, and I’ve got a real craving for pie and mash now.

6. I love Pumpkins, what a healthy and delicious looking Pie. Even I am craving for one now.

7. What a clever idea! Pastry always makes me feel a little guilty, but I love it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you Annie. Yes, I too feel guilty when I eat pastry, especially because I always eat too much!! Although this isn’t flaky and buttery, it is a great, healthier alternative 😀

Great idea, this looks so yummy!

9. Wow this looks delicious! Never thought of doing a pot pie with pumpkin!

10. Laura says:

Yum! Beautiful pictures and sounds amazing!

11. Your pie looks delicious!

12. Wow, looks and sounds amazing. Pumpkin really is the ingredient of the season 🙂

13. myninjanaan says:

I never thought that a fat free pot pie was possible! You have made me realize that I should never limit my imagination! 🙂

14. These look so pro Poppy! I’m such a sucker for pastry so it’s nice to have a healthier alternative.
    I don’t know why but I’ve never had success roasting squash/pumpkin seeds. Mine always end up chewy, not crisp. I think I need to look up a tutorial.
    P.S. I can just imagine all these squash tumbling out of your wardrobe now!

Thank you Emma! I know, I’m the same with pastry, its a huge weakness of mine! Somebody just sent through a link to a tutorial (you will see amongst the comments if you want to check it out) and it would appear I didn’t roast them half as long as they need! I’m going to try again! 😀

15. bakearama says:

Pumpkin pastry I’m going to have to try… my dad has given us 3 monsters from his allotment, the largest of which weighs nearly 5 stone! So this will be great to use some of it up 🙂

Wow, that’s like half my body weight – incredible! You’re certainly not going to go hungry for a while 😉

• bakearama says:

Tell me about it – we ended up with 10 kilos of pumpkin flesh! My fridge and freezer are packed to the rafters!!
        I did try the pumpkin pastry though, how amazing. I can’t believe it works without any fat but it goes so nice and crispy on the top. Thanks for sharing!

I’m so pleased you tried and liked the pastry! It reminds me of crusty bread, I love it!
        I hope you enjoy creating things with all that pumpkin!! 😀

16. Hi Poppy, your pie looks amazing. As for the pumpkin seeds you have to take the case off them and then roast them. They will be nice and crunchy then.
    Marie xx

17. Hi Poppy, you don’t have to take the case of pumpkin seeds sorry it sunflower seeds here is a link for roasting pumpkin seeds http://www.wikihow.com/Roast-Pumpkin-Seeds
    Marie xx

18. dweezer19 says:

These actually look very tasty although I am not a big pumpkin fan. Great recipe!

19. pizzarossa says:

Wow, that looks spectacular!

20. What a cool idea to put pumpkin in the crust! The filling looks incredibly creamy and delicious.

21. They look delicious. You’re so inventive Poppy 🙂

22. This looks and sounds really delicious!

23. Great idea, looks delicious, great job on the challenge!

24. Pingback: Happy Halloween! Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins | Bunny Kitchen