It’s all about cozy comfort food right now isn’t it?
This dish fits the bill perfectly with earthy mushrooms in a creamy sauce, richly spiced with paprika.
It’s a doddle to make, on the table in 30 minutes or less and it will do wonders to relieve the stresses of the day.
Use any mix of mushrooms you wish, and use non dairy cream for an even richer affair.
Also who would have thought such a delicious, rich and creamy dish could be so low in calories yet so full of a wide range of vitamins and minerals. Check out the nutrition info below for a breakdown of the bonus health benefits of this dish.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 tsp oil (I use hemp), optional
- 1 large onion (or 2 if smaller)
- 2 tbsp non smoked paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 600g (6 cups) mushrooms, sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock (gluten free if necessary)
- 2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (check ingredients for anchovies and gluten if necessary)
- 250g (1 cup) plain, unsweetened non dairy yoghurt
- A small bunch of chives
- Heat the oil (if using) in a large non-stick frying pan or cast iron skillet and soften the finely chopped onion for 5 minutes over a medium heat before stirring in the crushed garlic and paprika.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on a high heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes until lightly coloured and fragrant.
- Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat and stir through the yoghurt and the chopped chives. Make sure the pan is not on the heat to ensure the sauce doesn’t split.
- Serve over steamed brown rice or with pasta or potatoes and green vegetables.
High in dietary fiber
Very high in iron
Very high in niacin
Very high in pantothenic acid
High in phosphorus
High in potassium
Very high in riboflavin
Very high in selenium
Very high in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin B6
High in vitamin C