Tomatillo Salsa

I knew of the tomatillo only through US cookbooks and cooking shows. I have never, ever seen a tomatillo for sale in the UK, not in a greengrocers, whole foods store, market or supermarket. It has always been one of those things that I have been destined never to find. Thus, I was so excited to learn that my weekly organic veg box supplier were stocking them last week.

Of course, for my first experience of the fruit, I had to make salsa. Simply mixed with onion, chili, a touch of garlic and fragrant coriander, this was a truly delectable treat that was a wonderful addition to spicy vegetable fajita wraps.

The tomatillos offer a wonderful, subtle tartness and almost citrus flavour that pairs perfectly with traditional Mexican salsa ingredients.

If you see them, buy them!

Ingredients: Serves 4 as an accompaniment

• 400g (14oz) tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
  • 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 chili
  • 40g (large bunch) fresh coriander, stalks and leaves
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • pinch of sugar or other sweetener
  • pinch of salt

1. Pulse the tomatillos in a blender or processor until roughly chopped.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine into a slightly chunky salsa. Serve at room temperature.

Ribbet collage

Nutritional Benefits

Low in saturated fat
Very low in cholesterol
Very high in dietary fiber
High in iron
High in manganese
High in magnesium
Very high in niacin
High in phosphorus
Very high in potassium
Very high in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin C
High in vitamin E
This entry was posted in Side dishes, Snacks, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Tomatillo Salsa

1. I had never seen it! At a first glance, I thought it was some kind of green physalis because of the leaves! 😀

Yes they have the same husky leaves as physalis! They’re basically a Mexican tomato! 😀

• Carol Foster says:

Great! Must share: for the first time (probably even a first for this English town, ever) I grew tomatillos, and made salsa with them! I’m a Mexican-born American so I was very excited to find that they can grow here. Pedant-alert: they’re not like Mexican tomatoes; tomatoes are of course a Mexican food staple- but they are very hard to find here, though easy to grow as I was delighted to find out. Your recipe looks delicious. I do a cooked and a raw version- both of which I could eat by the bowlful…so good.

Hi Carol, that’s great that you grew them in England! I am planning to have a go next year after discovering them! I must try a cooked version, I’ve heard lots of great love for cooked tomatillo salsa!
        I described them as a Mexican tomato, as a comparison for my readers who did not have any idea what they were, as they are used similarly as how we use tomatoes, it helped make a picture! Also Mexican tomato is a common name for them and they are of the same plant family! 😀

2. Tea with Erika, I thought it was a physalis too!!! looks delish though, need to get homd of some and give it a go

3. Tomatillo IS a physalis (physalis philadelphica) and is related to cape gooseberries or ground cherries. Readily available in the US.
    So happy for you that you’ve finally had a chance to enjoy it! The salsa looks yummy.

4. I love that you made this! Love tomatillo salsa. Now I think it’s time for you to make some white bean chili with tomatillos ;-)!

Oh that just sounds scrumptious, I’ve never had a white bean chili! I think I should! This was so much better than tomato salsa, loved the zing! I just wish it more more known here!

5. Janet Rörschåch says:

GLad you discovered tomatillos. They are almost flowery in their flavor. A couple of other ways to work with tomatillos: Of course, always remove the husks. To develop more flavor you can either boil them in water for five mintes and reserve some of the liquid to put in your slasa, or yu can roast them a bit over a grill. Have fun!

6. I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for tomatillos too but so far haven’t found them. They look sort of papery on the outside? I love Mexican-style food 🙂

Yes they have a papery husk layer on the outside which literally just slips off, but it was almost like unwrapping little presents revealing the bright green fruit – so fun! I hope you find some soon! 😀

7. Very good. Would like to try this 🙂

8. i eat tomatillo salsa in restaurants all the time but have never tried to make it at home . . . now i’m intrigued!

It’s great that you have it in restaurants, it’s so unknown here 😦 It’s literally a whizz together in blender job so definitely worth trying and you can adjust it to how you like it that way too 😀

9. lizziefit says:

Never tried a tomatillo… might have to now 🙂

10. lucylox says:

I’ve never seen a tomatillo for sale either – I’m hoping I do now!

11. Never heard of tomatillos. They look beautiful! Will keep my eyes open for it – thanks for the inspiration!

12. The Veggie Green says:

Hi, looks scrumptious! Are the white seeds from the tomatillos?

13. kpk1234 says:

I have seen this many times in a nearby Mexican store.Never tried it.Salsa looks so delicious!Tempting me to buy tomatillos.

14. Violet says:

Thanks for teaching me about a new healthy vegetable, Poppy! I’ll look for it now at the grocery stores. Your green salsa looks yummy!! 🙂

15. Gorgeous salsa – these tomatillos are beautiful!

16. That looks amazing. Love the photos with the tomatillos on the hot pink background! I want that as a print for art! I live in California, and we have access to these little gems year ’round, pretty much and you’ve now inspired me to go get some and make your salsa! 🙂 Looks great!

What a wonderful comment! Thank you 😀
      It must be lovely to have access all year round – if I ever come to the US I will buy an extra suitcase and fill it with them!! 😀

• It’s just nice to have other fantastic vegan blogs to go and enjoy, like yours. 🙂 If you ever have a burnin’ tomatillio need and you can’t find any, let me know. I’ll see if I can send you some!! 🙂

That is just so so lovely of you, but I would never expect you to do that! I think I will try and find some seeds and grow them next summer! I’m really honestly touched that you’d offer though…
        Thank you so much, it’s great to have discovered your blog too! 😀

• Food lovers unite! 🙂 I’d send you some in a heart beat. Seriously. I know what it’s like to crave things that are out of season or hard to come by. When I was in the UK years ago (before going vegan) I fell in love with HP sauce. Hunted and hunted for it locally and finally found some.

Thank you! That’s so sweet of you. Great that you managed to find HP sauce locally! I bet that was hard to find as it’s a very British condiment! I will definitely try growing tomatillos next summer! 😀

17. p0cketchange says:

I live in Arizona, US, quite close to the Mexican border and this is a very popular salsa here. I take for granted that people don’t enjoy it worldwide! 🙂 I love seeing that someone in another country is trying it and loving it! We typically prepared it by cooking the tomatillos. You may enjoy it even more if you roast the tomatillo (pronounced Tom-uh-TEE-oh here) along with the onion, chile, and garlic! YUM

It must be great being near to the Mexican border! I’m definitely loving it and will definitely try roasting next time! Thank you for your advice. Great to know about the pronunciation too – I’ve been saying Tom-uh-TILL-oh!! 😀

18. Wow this looks so yummy! Never seen tomatillo’s before but I’ll be on the lookout !

19. Beautiful! Never made tomatillo salsa but definitely tried it and one of my favorites. I love you pictures!

20. So that’s what a tomatillo looks like. I didn’t know either. Your salsa looks yummy and easy to make. We made a green salsa all summer long with parsley and cilantro and enjoyed it with hummous. Thanks so much for popping by my blog, Poppy. Cheers! (I am not a vegan, but I do enjoy a lot of vegan foods.)

Your parsley and cilantro green salsa with hummus sounds divine!! Thank you for coming by and I’m glad my discovery of tomatillos has helped others discover them too 😀

21. I just started making cooked tomatillo mixed with mashed avocado, a touch of sea salt, thats it! instant green sauce, i call it! i top it on everything! pork, fish, steak, beans, tacos, you name it! yum!

MMMMMM! Will be on the look out for these to make this fab recipe! Yum,Yum Yum!

Next – fried green tomatoes! 😉

24. Pingback: Vegan MoFo Day 25 – Buckwheat Cereal Experiment (GF) | Buchweizen-Müsli-Experiment (GF) | VGNGF*

25. I made this salsa all the time in the states but haven’t seen a single tomatillo since moving here to Japan. I started a plant this year but it was killed by spider mites–very sad!

26. Love tomatillos! I have a recipe for salad dressing that is to die for! So yummy!

27. Beautiful salsa! We make tomatillo salsa a LOT in my house, too. We actually roast the tomatillos first on a cookie sheet (350 degrees for 15 min. or so) and it really brings out even more of their amazingly appealing flavor! (The recipe’s on my blog if you’re interested in checking it out. 🙂 )

I’ve heard a few people say they roast them! I haven’t managed to get hold of any tomatillos since I made this salsa as they are so rare in this country! But I will definitely try roasting them next summer when I find some! 😀

28. Pingback: Vegan Cheesy Bean Quesadillas | Poppy's Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen