I am so excited to share this recipe with you today. This has become such a favourite, not least for it’s versatility.
The sauce can also be served as a soup, as it is or thinned with stock, water or non-dairy milk. It also makes a delicious dip for crudites, breadsticks, tortilla chips or just about anything dip-able. Serve it warm as a cosy appetizer or chilled for a summer barbeque or picnic spread.
Of course, it is a wonderful pasta sauce, coating each piece of pasta gloriously with its luxurious creaminess. Just as a pasta alone, it is incredibly variable – add various vegetables, herbs or protein to the dish.
It is pictured here both as it’s basic form, the sauce, with grilled asparagus, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms and also with red pepper, parsley and grilled tofu that had been marinated in the sauce!
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 400g/4 cups broccoli, chopped into florets and the stalk diced
- 125g/1/2 cup vegan sour cream or yoghurt
- 200ml/3/4 cup+1tbsp unsweetened almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp vegan spread or olive oil (optional)
- 200g/1 1/2 cups asparagus, woody ends snapped off, cut into 5cm/2″ pieces
- 150g/1 1/4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 150g/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 400g/4 cups dry penne pasta
- Steam or boil the broccoli in salted water until very tender but not mushy (between 7-10 minutes), drain really well, reserving the cooking water.
- Bring the broccoli water (if broccoli boiled) back to a boil in a large pot, adding more fresh water if necessary. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the broccoli, sour cream or yoghurt, a pinch of salt and pepper to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, gradually adding the milk to get a creamy sauce consistency. Taste and add seasonings to taste.
- Heat the oil or margarine (if using) in a griddle pan, cast iron or on a grill rack. Add the asparagus, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes and cook until a bit coloured, yet still crunchy.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce and vegetables.
High in riboflavin
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin B6