For this months Daring Bakers challenge I have created the ultimate summer loaf cake, fruity with citrus notes and rich from avocado.
In a “celebration” of past Daring Baker and Daring Cook challenges, Lisa challenged all of us to search through the Daring Kitchen archives and pick any one we’d like! The REAL challenge was picking which delicious recipe to try!
I decided to celebrate the Daring Kitchen with the February 2012 challenge to make quick breads which could include biscuits, muffins, popovers and a wide variety of sweet and savory loaf breads. I decided to utilise my wonderful green and pink toned fresh gooseberries, for me the quintessential mark of British summer, to create a light loaf perfect for a garden gathering, picnic or just as a breakfast or afternoon tea treat.
For those of you who are confused, scared or repelled by the use of avocado – I urge you to please trust me. You do not taste avocado, it simply works to replace margarine or butter and gives such a rich, luscious result. What’s more, the avocado replaces the practically empty calories of margarine to offer an incredible range of health benefits including good for you essential fatty acids, a range of vitamins and minerals and an incredible ability to increase the bodies’ ability to absorb carotenoid antioxidants.
I like to make 2 as they keep so well for at least a week and I pop one in the freezer for when unexpected guests arrive, pop it in the oven and it will defrost and be warm and fresh in no time!
Ingredients: Makes 2 loaf cakes, each serves 10.
- 350g (2.5 cups) gooseberries
- 4tbsp unrefined caster sugar
- 150g avocado flesh, ripe and blended smooth (1 medium avocado, 2/3 cup when pureed.)
- 100g (0.5 cup – 1 tbsp) vegan margarine
- 250g (1 cup + 2tbsp) unrefined caster sugar
- 500g (4 cups) self-raising flour
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 500ml (2 cups) vegan vanilla custard or dessert (e.g provamel, sojade, alpro)
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and grease and line two 2lb (12 x 22 x 6 cm) loaf tins.
- Add the berries and sugar to a pan and heat over a medium heat until jammy, crushing the berries with a wooden spoon to release the juices. About 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine and sugar until both have melted and stir in the avocado puree until smooth and combined, set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl . Pour the avocado mixture, custard, lemon zest and juice into the flour mix. Mix until you get a soft dropping consistency and ensuring all the flour is moistened and all in combined. Gently swirl through the gooseberry compote.
- Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 30 minutes or until risen, golden and a skewer inserted comes out with a few crumbs but no wet batter attached.
- Leave the cakes to cool completely in the tins on a cooling rack before turning out and slicing.