This is a great do ahead cake recipe as the cake only gets moister as time goes on as opposed to many cakes which tend to dry out. After 4 days this cake tasted even better than the days before. I think it would have lasted even longer had it not been eaten.
Even better, it’s one of the quickest to prepare cakes you’ll ever find. Simply add all ingredients to a processor, blitz then turn processor off, pour half in tin, scatter over berries, add remaining batter and bake.
It is a light cake with a wonderful almond flavour and just the right amount of tart from the raspberries. The fruity jam drizzle gives more colour and sweetness.
A perfect cake for a warm summer’s day.
Ingredients: Serves 10
- 140g/1 1/3 cups ground almonds
- 140g/ 1/2 cup + 2tbsp vegan spread
- 140g /1/2 cup + 2tbsp golden unrefined caster sugar
- 140g/ 1 cup + 1tbsp self-raising flour (use gluten free blend if necessary)
- replacer for 2 eggs (Orgran, Ener-G or soaked Chia seeds)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g/ 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- 1tbsp raspberry jam
- 1tbsp warm water
- 25g/ 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/350F and line the base of a deep 20cm round cake tin.
- Blitz the ground almonds, spread, sugar, flour, egg replacer and vanilla extract in a food processor until well combined.
- Spread half the mix over the cake tin and smooth over the top. Scatter the raspberries over, then dollop the remaining cake mixture on top and roughly spread over the berries.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until golden and a skewer inserted comes out free of wet batter.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack in the tin.
- Meanwhile mix the jam, water and icing sugar together until smooth then trickle over the top of the cooled cake.
Adapted and veganized from BBC Good Food