Baked Mediterranean Sandwich

This is not two slices of bread, filled and baked. This is two layers of bread dough, filled with fresh, fragrant basil pesto and Mediterranean vegetables and baked like a calzone, in individual portions.

This dough doesn’t need to rise before shaping, so in under an hour you can have a baked sandwich to remember.

IMG_0845IMG_0849

Ingredients: For 1

For the bread dough:

• 125gΒ strong bread flour
  • 4g dried yeast
  • 3g sea salt
  • 1tbsp + 1tsp olive oil
  • 75ml warm water (about 45’C/110’F)

For the filling:

Basil pesto: (Makes about double what you need for this recipe)

• 50g basil leaves, 1 wet garlic stalk or 2 cloves of garlic, zest of half a lemon, juice of a lemon, salt and pepper to taste.

Vegetables:

• Half a red pepper, sliced
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • A few fresh basil leaves
  • A sprinkle of vegan parmesan (optional)

Fotor061701251

1. Preheat the oven to 200’C/400’F. Mix the ingredients for the dough together and knead for a few minutes until smooth.
  2. Divide the dough in half and pat out one part into a roughly 4 inch square and place on a baking parchment lined baking sheet.
  3. Blitz the pesto ingredients in a food processor and taste and add seasoning to taste.
  4. Spread about half the pesto on the flattened dough and scatter over the peppers, tomatoes and basil leaves.
  5. Pat out the remaining dough into a similar sized square and lift over the filling, stretching it gently if needed to cover. Pinch the edges to seal, don’t worry if some of the pesto seeps out, I quite like the rustic look once it’s baked!
  6. Leave to rise for half an hour, or until the dough has roughly doubled in size.
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp. Slice and serve with salad.

Store the remaining pesto covered in the fridge and use as a salad dressing or stir through potatoes or pasta.

IMG_0847Fotor06170167

This entry was posted in Bread, Egg-free, Lunch, Mains, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Baked Mediterranean Sandwich

1. I’ve never met a baked sandwich. How does this differ to a calzone?

This is pretty much the same principle as a calzone although a calzone is a folded pizza typically filled with tomato sauce and mozzarella. This is layered and sealed.

2. laurasmess says:

This looks gorgeous Poppy. The fresh-baked dough definitely elevates the sandwich from ‘average lunch’ to ‘special treat’ πŸ™‚

3. Amazing:).. Copying and reblogging :)..

4. Ally says:

I like the layering and sealing method you have employed here. My calzone folding leaves a lot to be desired! I’m going with your method next time.
    It looks delicious.
    πŸ™‚

5. What a great idea, looks amazing

6. Herbifit says:

This looks delcious – I can’t believe I have never thought to do this before πŸ™‚

7. The Vegan Green says:

Wow, just gorgeous! Such a great idea

8. Mmmmmmm, This looks so good! πŸ˜€

9. gardenjon says:

Great post and recipe! The pics make me want one right now… I better make it happen!

10. glam2gurl says:

I have never made bread before but this receipe will have me doing it. I wil be picking up these ingredients 2morrow. Thanks Poppy πŸ™‚ Please keep the receipes coming.

Thank you Glam! Bread is so rewarding to make, I think you’ll love it once you first make it! And this is a really easy bread so great to start with πŸ™‚

11. This looks really good Poppy – fresh baked bread and everything! I rarely make yeast breads. Something about the process intimidates me. But I’ve become a much better cook since going vegan, so maybe I should take a stab at it again. I love the photos too! Celeste πŸ™‚

Thank you Celeste! I definitely think you should have another go, once you get the hang of it, it’s so rewarding making fresh bread on a weekend – I love it! This recipe is great because it doesn’t need two rises or really long kneading and gives a wonderful crisp crust like a french baguette with such minimal effort. Yum! πŸ™‚

12. Kate says:

Oh my gosh, YUM!

13. This looks delicious! How big is the finished sandwich?

14. nahohkah says:

I gotta try this out. Thank you Poppy!

15. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday with Poppy’s Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen | My Plant-Based Family

16. The New Loaf says:

This looks great! Can’t wait to try it.

17. Fiver Feeds says: