Homemade Vegan Butter and Rich Hazelnut Hot Chocolate

IMG_0576 IMG_0393

The lovely Kelly of hearthomemade led me to a recipe for vegan butter over at Vegan Baking. I just had to share how successful the recipe was.

Firstly, the ingredients;

In the UK, I found refined coconut oil (which is not widely available) by ‘Pride’ brand online at Real Foods very reasonably priced at £1.99 for 250 ml (more than you need for the butter recipe). Don’t use regular non refined coconut oil here as the butter will just taste of coconut.

I found Soy lecithin granules at Amazon – quite expensive £5.15 for 250g – but I think it’s a good investment for making lots of vegan butter! You can of course also use it in other preparations or take it as a supplement.

Xanthan gum – Although widely available, it is not something I will ever really use so instead I decided to try using 1 teaspoon of chia seed ‘goo’ which worked perfectly. I made the ‘goo’ by simmering 1.5 tbsp chia seeds with 7 tbsp/100 ml water for about 10 minutes until gel like and then straining. I keep what I don’t use in the fridge to use as an egg replacer in baking recipes.

The remaining ingredients are standard, familiar items of soy milk, apple cider vinegar, rapeseed or sunflower oil and salt.

The result;

Honestly, it was amazing, it was the most tasty vegan butter alternative I have tried and it was the closest thing to dairy butter I have tasted. It had a real creamy quality and the perfect balance of slight saltiness and a hint of acidity. It melts like a dream and just made everything seem so much more luxurious than standard shop bought vegan margarine. I made 2 blocks of the butter in mini loaf moulds and still have a little in the freezer. When that goes, I will instantly be making more and no longer buying stuff in! The recipe was actually incredibly straight forward and only took a few minutes to whizz up in the processor, despite the ingredients being a little intimidating – don’t let that put you off!

IMG_0391Fotor060504142

Hazelnut Hot Chocolate

Fotor06050451

I also wanted to share this accidental hot cocoa recipe. I was intending to make a quick, cheat’s chocolate icing for a cake using vegan organic chocolate hazelnut spread. I warmed it on the stove with hazelnut milk, but I added way too much for an icing consistency and instead was left with the most delectable, rich hazelnut hot chocolate.

Per Mug:

• 2.5 tbsp/50g vegan chocolate hazelnut spread
  • 2/3 cup/150ml hazelnut milk or other non dairy milk

Melt the spread in the milk in a small pan over a low medium heat until all combined and steamy – add more milk if necessary to reach your desired taste and consistency.

This entry was posted in Chocolate, Drinks, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Homemade Vegan Butter and Rich Hazelnut Hot Chocolate

1. yardandplate says:

Honestly I had no idea one could make a vegan butter like this! Thank you for opening my eyes.

How awesome, I’ve had baking blunders that end up in the trash, never as a delicious hot cup of cocoa. The butter looks amazing!

3. izabela says:

I was about to ask if there was a way of making this without soy since I live in the land of no dairy and no soy. But then I remember I live in the land of no bread as well and I had nothing to put this on. Okay, now I’m a little depressed… haha… I’ll just live vicariously through you 🙂

4. We’re not vegan, but I love trying new alternatives to the ‘mainstream’, so thanks for sharing! I buy the KTC brand of coconut oil from an Asian grocery store – 500ml for £2.29. Okay, it’s packaged in a plastic tub (and I’d prefer a re-usable glass container), but it’s way easier to spoon out than from the bottles!! 🙂

5. I’m so glad you love the butter! It’s definitely a staple now in my kitchen. For some reason I now have an intense craving for a bagel with melty yummy vegan butter 😛

6. laurasmess says:

Fantastic post Poppy! I’ve never seen homemade vegan butter before. It’s a great alternative… so good to know exactly what’s in it! The hazelnut hot chocolate sounds divine also. I loooove anything that’s nutty and chocolatey. Perfect winter treat 🙂 xx

Thank you Laura! Yes I agree it is nice to know what’s in it – I often don’t know what things mean even in organic vegan margarine’s! 🙂

7. That hazelnut hot chocolate sounds wonderful – what a happy accident!! My husband and I rarely eat vegan butter, but I have to admit that the photos you have of all that creamy, melted butter made me drool. I might just have to try making vegan butter for a special occasion. Celeste 🙂

8. I’ve been meaning to try that for ages! Thanks for the reminder, you’ve totally sold me on it.

9. Well, so vegan butter is AMAZING. No doubt about it. But for this post, I’m just into the hazelnut hot chocolate! Brilliant accident ;-)!

10. Pingback: Sprouted Seed and Radish Sandwich | Poppy's Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen

11. This sounds amazing! 🙂

12. Yum! That bagel looks delish too! Did you make it?

13. Hi there Poppy – so sorry I never saw that you had liked one of my posts – your like ended up in archives before I had noticed. Love your recipes, and your take on life. I’ll enjoy getting your blog feed and seeing what other yummy stuff you’re cooking. Thanks for putting together such a wonderful site 🙂 Take care. Janet

14. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday with Poppy’s Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen | My Plant-Based Family

15. Pingback: No Coffee Spiced Vanilla Latte (dairy and sugar-free) | Honk If You're Vegan

Your home-made vegan butter looks amazing & that rich hazelnuts hot chocolate, I made it, it was very Yum yummmmm. 😊

17. Veronica says:

I didn’t read the comments but was wondering if you could use the butter in recipes, like for frosting? I love the idea of making my own vegan butter and might be making a vegan cake soon for a dairy free boy.

18. Veronica says:

forgot to subscribe to follow-up comments so I’m commenting again to do so. lol

19. Hello there! I enjoyed reading through your blog this morning. I really want to try this vegan butter. Just wondering why you choose not to use xantham gum. I’m new to using it and would appreciate others opinions on it. Cheers!