OK, I couldn’t not bake something on World Baking Day, despite it falling on the day before my final exam. Are you all sick of hearing about these blasted exams now? It’s OK, I am too!
So, these bars are so delicious. They are sweet, fruity, crisp, wholesome, antioxidant and vitamin rich, fat free and low in calories. They work both as a breakfast treat or as dessert with a scoop of vegan ice cream.
They take just 5-10 minutes of actual work, then 30 minutes in the oven.
Orange, Blueberry Oat Bars.
Ingredients: Makes 9 bars
- 125g fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup raw brown sugar (or sweetener of choice, agave, maple syrup, coconut sugar, stevia, Sukrin etc)
- Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from the 2 zested oranges, divided)
- seeds from half a vanilla pod or 1/2 tsp extract
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 cups/330g oatmeal (gf approved if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 175g/6 oz unsweetened applesauce (recipe follows or use ready made)
- 6 tablespoons raw brown sugar or other sweetener
- 8 tablespoons soya milk
- Preheat oven to 180’c/375’f. Grease a 8 inch square baking dish or similar with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, orange zest and 1/4 cup of the juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup orange juice with the cornflour until smooth. When the blueberry mixture comes to a boil, stir in the vanilla and the cornflour mixture. Continue to stir for a further minute as the mixture boils and thickens then remove from heat and set aside.
- Put 1 1/2 cups of the oatmeal into a blender and grind it to a fine powder. Pour it into a medium mixing bowl and add the remaining oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well then stir in the apple sauce, sugar and soya milk until well combined and you have a slightly sticky dough like mixture.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing well to cover the bottom of the pan. Then spread over the blueberry mixture then the remaining oat dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Inspired by FatFree Vegan Kitchen
Lemon and Vanilla Apple Sauce.
Ingredients: Makes approximately 700g
- 800g eating apples
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 large lemon
- Core the apples, no need to peel and roughly chop into inch cubes.
- Add to a large pan, grate over the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla pod then add the pod.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring every few minutes until the apples are broken down and pulpy, about 10 minutes. Blitz in a food processor for a smooth sauce or leave as it is for a chunky sauce.
- Leave to cool, add to plastic tubs and keep in the fridge for a week or freeze.