Amazing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

2013-04-06 23.27.41

Dear Chocolate Chip,

We’ve had some great times together. As you will probably know by now, I have spent much time in confusion over the years.

The nights I spent craving you, but I knew you were so bad for me. I knew if I had you, I’d just want more.

You know I will always love you, but Oatmeal Raisin has truly won my heart. With it’s high fibre, appetite and blood pressure controlling and satisfying dose of rolled oats along with naturally sweet, juicy, raisins, rich in antioxidants and with digestion aiding properties; I can enjoy it with ease.

No doubt I’ll see you next time my heart’s broken.

Love.

Poppy x

2013-04-06 23.26.33

Recipe veganised/adapted from Savory Sweet Life

Makes 15 large cookies:

• ½ cup/115g vegan margarine, soft
  • 1 cup/200g raw brown sugar
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cup/115g rolled oats
  • ⅔ cup/85g spelt  flour (or all-purpose)
  • 1 cup/150g raisins
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to taste, I like a whole teaspoon!)
  • ¼ teaspoon allspice
  1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
  2. With an electric mixer or wooden spoon, cream together the margarine and sugar until airy and smooth. Mix in the flax egg and vanilla until combined well.
  3. Stir in the oats, flour, raisins, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices until fully combined.
  4. Drop round scoops of the dough approximately 2 inches apart onto a lined baking sheet. Roughly 2 heaped tablespoons of dough per cookie.
  5. Bake for 11-12 minutes turning the baking sheet around half way through the baking time until the cookies are golden brown. They will feel soft still.
  6. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes to firm up before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
  7. Eat warm or at room temperature, if you can wait.

c

This entry was posted in Cookies, Egg-free, vegan and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Amazing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1. couleewind says:

I am SO looking forward to giving this recipe a try sometime soon. I recently lost my oatmeal raisin cookie recipe (an old, omni one I converted) so a new one is in order for sure.

I used to use a recipe that I just couldn’t veganise well, as it used condensed milk – these really were spot on, I was sooo happy!! Hope you enjoy them 🙂

2. saucygander says:

Yum, I’d be eating these warm. 🙂

3. moonscouts says:

I’m still searching for the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie, and I’m so excited about these, since they’re vegan, too! Can’t wait to make these!

4. These look delicious 🙂 I also enjoyed reading your letter to the chocolate chip cookies of the world – its something I struggle with too.

5. cute post! I’m sorry, I love oatmeal raisin way more than chocolate chip… This recipe looks great. I am going to pass it along to my friend who loves oatmeal raisin cookies but is on a “no dairy” run.

6. I agree with tinywhitecottage, cute post! I’m new to the vegan world, and have been wary about starting to bake (since baking is so darn fickle). These seem like a great starter recipe for me 🙂 One question, do you buy vegan margarine / butter, or make your own? My husband and I made vegan butter last week that came out really well, but maybe you have some margarine / butter tips for baking 😉

Thanks Kelly! I definitely think this is a good starter recipe, as it’s kind of foolproof! I buy vegan margarine, you can pick up good, non-hydrogenated types which is what I go for, usually a soya margarine. I’ve never made vegan butter thus haven’t baked with it so I have no idea how well it would work. If you try, I’d love to know how it works out. Hope that helps.. Poppy 🙂

7. Brie says:

I think I will try this, I have a lot of food allergies, they look amazing

8. traditionis says:

These look so yummy!

9. Absolutely ADORE oatmeal raisin cookies…can’t wait to try this recipe! Stopping by from SITS.-The Dose Girls

10. ladyflowersbysusan says:

No one will be surprised to see that I’ve nominated you for the Super Sweet Award for bloggers!

Susan

11. veggiebunch says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe, still looking for a fabulous oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, so far it’s been a bust! I have never tried the flax egg yet either have just been using applesauce as the “egg”.

12. Hi, I just wanted to let you know I have nominated you for the Super Sweet Blog Award 🙂 Stacie

13. Mmmm! These look amazing! I supposed you could use GF oats to make these GF too! They look like they had a really nice rise and good chewy texture!

14. Pingback: Sisters Are Awesome!! | Honk If You're Vegan