Indian Spiced Vegetable Stew

This is a very light Indian style stew. The broth is aromatic with just slight heat, add more chili if you like it hotter. Use whatever vegetables you like or have, it’s a great recipe for cleaning out the fridge. The spices transform even the most tired of vegetables into vibrant, colourful treasures.

For a more substantial stew, add beans, chickpeas, lentils, tofu, seitan, tempeh, tvp….or anything you like.

Serves 4 with rice or bread;

• 1 tsp oil
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 inches ginger
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp asafoetida
  • 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
  • 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 400ml can coconut milk
  • 4 small-medium potatoes, not peeled, halved or quartered if large (about 400g)
  • Handful of carrots, not peeled but scrubbed and sliced into rings (about 400g)
  • Small head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 200g)
  • 40g watercress, roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp dried coriander leaf or fresh
  • salt and pepper

1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the sliced onion over a medium heat and cook until softened and starting to colour, ad the roughly chopped garlic and ginger, stir for about 5 seconds then take off the heat.
  2. Off the heat, add all the spices. Return to the heat, stir regularly until the spices smell fragrant, just a couple of minutes.
  3. Add in the potatoes and carrots and stir to coat in the spices. Add the coconut milk and water to cover by about an inch. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are just about soft enough to be pierced with a knife.
  4. Add the broccolli. After 3 minutes, add the watercress, coriander and salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if necessary for a broth consistency.
  5. Serve with warm Indian breads or basmati rice.

Nutrition for 4 servings per recipe, not including rice or bread;

7.7g
Vitamin A 348% Vitamin C 139%
Calcium 12% Iron 22%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Benefits

This entry was posted in Egg-free, Gluten-free, Indian, Mains, soup, vegan and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Indian Spiced Vegetable Stew

1. amoyer2013 says:

Indian food is always tasty! I bet this dish is no exception.

2. What a coincidence, I just cooked up an Indian-inspired dish today! You have gotten so creative with your seasoning! My seasoning did not include asafoetida or fenugreek like yours, I haven’t ever experimented with those ones! Can you describe the flavour they add to the dish?

Hi Trinity, thanks for your message. Asafoetida and fenugreek are 2 of my favourite spices! Asafoetida has a really pungent oniony smell which mellows when heated to a soft garlic aroma – needless to say it really enhances the onion and garlic in the recipe. I love it with tofu, it really gives punchy flavour. Fenugreek has a very distinctive curry powder smell, it’s very earthy and grassy and adds real depth to Indian dishes. I only use a small amount as its quite strong. It’s well worth trying these spices out, you’ll love them! Poppy 🙂

• You really know your flavours, thanks for the tips! Can’t wait to try them out 🙂

• Sorry couldn’t help but add that Fenugreek also has great medicinal value. In India it is used as a home remedy to maintain blood sugar levels for diabetes patients by drinking water sprinkled with the seeds stored overnight. We also make a dry curry with the seeds . Really versatile.

3. jwprokupek says:

I love Indian food; you can usually count on it to be pretty healthy, but very flavorful. I would love the opportunity to try asafoetida and fenugreek, and will definitely put this on my list of things to cook. Your dish looks delicious, thanks for posting!

4. Vegetarian In Vegas says:

I can’t say I have ever cooked with asafoetida or fenugreek before. It looks like I will have to stock up on my spice drawer.

5. That stew looks perfect with some naan. Yummy

6. Liz says:

Love the variety in your posts–everything from sweets to savory 🙂 This stew looks yum and would finish off nicely followed by your oatmeal raisin cookies! Many thanks for stopping by foodforfun for the green onion-soy scones. Very nice to meet you 🙂

7. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday with Poppy’s Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen | My Plant-Based Family

8. said-simply says:

Glad to find your site. I love to cook new and tasty dishes. I must try this one.

9. Pingback: Middle Eastern Tofu Bowl With Lightened up Tahini Sauce and Degustabox June Review | Bunny Kitchen