I love burgers. Veggie, of course. I love how they can be so filling and hearty yet be full of such goodness. When I’m trying to shift some pounds, I know a good homemade burger is a good choice to ensure I don’t feel deprived as they pack comfort, flavour and are incredibly filling for surprisingly few calories. These burgers come in at just 118 calories each for 6, or 175 for 4 chunkier burgers.
The creamy sauce here gets its richness from roasted red peppers and good olive oil and its creaminess from bread. It’s a great alternative to cholesterol laden mayonnaise with just 124 calories per serving and no cholesterol.
Both of these recipes come together in a flash using a food processor. They are incredibly quick and easy.
For the burgers, serves 4-6. Adjust seasonings and spices to your liking.
- 1 cup of cooked bulgur wheat
- 1 cup of cooked lentils (I use brown or puy, original uses red)
- 3 medium beetroots grated
- ¼ cup of bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 finely diced onion
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- dried chilli flakes to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground sumac
- 15g fresh parsley or coriander
- Simply whizz all of the ingredients together in a food processor until blended, taste and adjust seasonings. Put in a bowl and leave to sit in the fridge for an hour or more to firm up.
- Divide into 4 or 6 and make burger shapes. Fry in cooking spray for a few minutes on each side until golden. Serve with salad and pepper sauce.
|Based on 6 burgers||Calories||Carbs||Fat||Protein||Sodium||Sugar|
Adapted from HerbiFit
For the Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, enough for 8.
- 50g roasted red peppers in brine, from a jar
- 60g white bread
- 1 plump clove garlic
- 100ml olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Soak the bread in water, then wring it out. Add the soaked bread and drained peppers to a food processor followed by the garlic.
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil, pouring it in slowly through the feed tube. When the mixture is a thick cream, stir in the lemon juice.
- Chill until ready to serve.