IMG-20120910-00389 2 (2)

I love burgers. Veggie, of course. I love how they can be so filling and hearty yet be full of such goodness. When I’m trying to shift some pounds, I know a good homemade burger is a good choice to ensure I don’t feel deprived as they pack comfort, flavour and are incredibly filling for surprisingly few calories. These burgers come in at just 118 calories each for 6, or 175 for 4 chunkier burgers.

The creamy sauce here gets its richness from roasted red peppers and good olive oil and its creaminess from bread. It’s a great alternative to cholesterol laden mayonnaise with just 124 calories per serving and no cholesterol.

Both of these recipes come together in a flash using a food processor. They are incredibly quick and easy.

For the burgers, serves 4-6. Adjust seasonings and spices to your liking.

• 1 cup of cooked bulgur wheat
  • 1 cup of cooked lentils (I use brown or puy, original uses red)
  • 3 medium beetroots grated
  • ¼ cup of bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 1 finely diced onion
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • dried chilli flakes to taste
  • 1/2 tsp ground sumac
  • 15g fresh parsley or coriander
  1. Simply whizz all of the  ingredients together in a food processor until blended, taste and adjust seasonings. Put in a bowl and leave to sit in the fridge for an hour or more to firm up.
  2. Divide into 4 or 6 and make burger shapes. Fry in cooking spray for a few minutes on each side until golden. Serve with salad and pepper sauce.
Based on 6 burgers Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Per Serving: 118 31 3 10 126 6

IMG-20120908-00387Adapted from HerbiFit

For the Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, enough for 8.

• 50g roasted red peppers in brine, from a jar
  • 60g white bread
  • 1 plump clove garlic
  • 100ml olive oil
  • Juice of half a lemon
  1. Soak the bread in water, then wring it out. Add the soaked bread and drained peppers to a food processor followed by the garlic.
  2. With the motor running, gradually add the oil, pouring it in slowly through the feed tube. When the mixture is a thick cream, stir in the lemon juice.
  3. Chill until ready to serve.
Serves 8 Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Per serving 124 4 12 1 42 1

This entry was posted in Bread, Egg-free, Mains, salads, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Lentil and Beetroot Burgers – A.K.A ‘Beetburgers’ with a Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

1. Such an amazing colour! 🙂

2. ohlidia says:

Looks delicious! Thanks for your visit!

3. I really like the color of this burger. I imagine it is delicious!

4. That looks amazing!! I love the colour!

5. beautycalyptique says:

hey 😉 thanks for stopping by and the star.
    lead me here to discover your gorgeous recipes, so you’ve got yourself a new friend 🙂

6. Chelsea Lynn says:

These look delicious! I need to try it with juice pulp!

7. These look gorgeous and delicious!

8. Looks delicious. Do you think peanut butter would be too strong of a flavor in this recipe? Also, I wonder if I could substitute barley or rice for the bulgur wheat.

Hi, thanks for stopping by. I think peanut butter will work just fine, as will barley or rice or any grain really! I hope you enjoy it 🙂

9. Looks very nice. I’m a big fan of beets, burghul and lentils! Will definitely try recipe out. 🙂 you may like this Pearl Barley Beet Risotto http://yesanotherfoodblog.com/2012/11/13/beetroot-pearl-barley-risotto/

10. These look great. I’m a big fan of beetroot in all it’s forms. I’ve never tried beet burgers though.

11. Pingback: Gourmet Pulp Burger | Juice and Pulp Recipes

12. issa9160 says:

The vibrant color alone makes me want to try these!

13. queennzingha says:

Love Beets!!!! Oh….I’m inspired again!!! A couple of months ago I was part of a “Beet Challenge” to make Beets 5 different ways! I’ll be posting that shortly so be on the lookout!!

14. Pingback: Jalepeño Popper and Pulp Sandwich | Juice and Pulp Recipes

15. Pingback: Mashed Garlic Pulp Potatoes | Juice and Pulp Recipes

16. Reblogged this on Honk If You're Vegan and commented:
    Yesterday I reviewed the cookbook, Color Me Vegan. Although I loved it overall, I was disappointed that many of the recipes used extracted oil which I rarely use anymore. If you’re curious why, check out this link: http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/the-big-oil-post-plus-a-giveaway/.

In my review, I mentioned that that I was let down because I wanted to try the Beet Burger recipe, but opted not to because it used ¼ cup of oil. In a comment on the post, however; Poppy shared a link to her oil-free Lentil and Beetroot Burger recipe.

I checked out the link, and the burgers looked absolutely delicious! And since they’re also the prettiest burgers I’ve ever seen I wanted to share the recipe. I’m planning on making them tonight. Thanks Poppy!
    ughts here… (optional)

17. bloomlisa says:

Yummy! I have been trying beets annually hoping I would finally like them as I know they are so good for you…finally my taste buds decided to co-operate about 2 years ago!! This looks amazing and I am going to try these this weekend!! Thank you so much:)

18. Ally says:

Stunning! Purple is my favourite colour 🙂

19. Pingback: Places I Forking Love; Manly, Australia | Fork You!

20. Linda says:

Those burgers look absolutely FANTASTIC, Celeste! I just love beets, and the sauce looks phenomenal. 🙂

21. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday with Poppy’s Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen | My Plant-Based Family

22. Looks & sounds awesome – Can’t wait to try this recipe!

23. ellebakes says:

yum i so want to try this!!

24. Pingback: Top 10 Posts of 2013 | Poppy's Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen

25. foodbod says:

Reblogged this on foodbod and commented:
    How good do they look??? What a fabulous colour!

26. So creative! Perfect for a new year celebration, Poppy.

27. This looks so pretty and delicious!

28. Looks fantastic!! Love the colors! 😉 Wish you a wonderful New Year!!

29. afracooking says:

Yum – these just look stunning – so vibrant! Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

30. The colour is so captivating – looks great! Thanks for visiting!

31. milkandbun says:

I imagine it’s delicious! What a wonderful colour! 🙂

32. Anne dow says:

Can you tell me if the beetroot is raw or cooked when you grate it.