Creamy Artichoke Pasta

Wealden-20120907-00371

I eat lots of pasta, proudly. I love the stuff. It’s such a great vehicle for flavoursome sauces and vegetables and pulses and, well, anything really. I very rarely get bored despite eating pasta in some form probably every day. I use different grain pasta’s for nutritional benefits and a bit of variation. Beside’s who could get bored when pasta allows dishes like this?!

I love creating sauces to go with pasta. Sometimes, its simply a packet of stewed lentils stirred through hot penne, and others, the comfort of Tofu Carbonara spaghetti. This is a mixture of these two examples; it’s speedy and uses store cupboard ingredients yet is creamy, flavourful and cozy. Enough for 4.

Add 400g pasta Β to a pan of boiling salted water. Slice 100g chestnut mushrooms and 1 medium courgette (about 200g) and saute in a drop of oil over a medium heat until softened and slightly coloured.

Meanwhile, take a can of artichoke hearts in water. Drain and add to a food processor with a tablespoon of non-dairy milk. Blitz until smooth and creamy, adding enough extra milk to get a loose sauce like consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste and a teaspoon of red chilli flakes and pulse to combine.

Add to the pan of mushrooms and courgettes, stir together. Drain the pasta. Just before serving stir in a tablespoon of chopped fresh chives and a handful of halved green olives before tossing with the hot pasta.

IMG-20120830-00370

This entry was posted in Egg-free, Mains, Pasta, vegan and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Creamy Artichoke Pasta

1. Anne Krarup says:

Looks very delicous. I will have to try it out sometime!

2. I am so making this! I love creamy pasta sauces, but rarely ate them before going vegan, due to being lactose intolerant. I never would have thought of artichokes, zucchini and mushrooms. Brilliant!

The artichokes definitely give cows cream a run for their money! Let me know if you make it, I’d love to know how you like it. Poppy πŸ™‚

3. I love pasta too. I make meat sauces (ground turkey, or pork spareribs, or lamb meatballs), vegetable sauces (zucchini, or rapini, or broccoli, or eggplant, or peas), fish sauces (clams or cod or shrimp), or pesto sauces (basil pesto, spinach pesto). The list is endless. Although the “experts” say not to eat white pasta (they claim whole grain is better) the Italians have been eating white pasta for eons and they are on the Mediterranean diet! I think white pasta gets a bad rap. Here’s to pasta!

4. Paulin Soleyman says:

This looks so delicious…Creamy pastas like this are my favorite comfort food πŸ™‚

5. Lilly Sue says:

Looks fabulous! I love pasta as well πŸ™‚

6. Oh my gosh this looks divine! Artichokes + mushrooms = love. I must try soon. Thanks for sharing this!

7. This dish looks amazing, as does your blog! I can’t wait to start trying out your recipes.

8. afracooking says:

Such a fabulous recipe! My heart almost broke when I realized that I used my last can of artichoke a few days ago and I cant make this for dinner tonight 😦 Soon! πŸ™‚

9. kaci316 says:

I love artichokes and tofu in pasta. I just love how it becomes so creamy!

10. This looks DELICIOUS! I am also a pasta lover. I can’t wait to try this! πŸ™‚
    -Beverly

11. GC :) says:

This looks amazing! Definitely making it this weekend πŸ˜€