This lovely lemony sweet bread, is wonderfully moist, and is fantastic toasted for breakfast. The bread is enriched with oil and non-dairy milk, no eggs or dairy needed. You’d never know it was low fat or vegan.
The lemon drizzle is optional but provides a lovely tart, sweet hit and adds to the moistness.
Ingredients: Serves 12
2 cups (500ml) plain wholewheat or white flour
1tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup (60ml/4tbsp) golden caster sugar
2tbsp mild oil (sunflower or rapeseed)
1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup or agave syrup
2tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup (60ml/4tbsp) fresh lemon juice
zest of 2 large or 3 smaller lemons
1 cup (250ml) non dairy milk
80g icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Lightly grease and line the base of a 9 x 5 inch loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer or a wire whisk, beat together the sugar and oil then add the syrup, poppy seeds, lemon juice and zest and continue to whisk until well combined.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to sugar mixture and then stir in 1/3 of the milk; beat until just combined. Repeat twice more until all the flour mixture and milk is used. Stir just until combined, don’t over mix or the bread will become tough when baked.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top of cake springs back when touched with a little finger and a a skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice and add a drop of water if too thick, pierce the cake all over with a skewer then pour the drizzle over the hot cake.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe slightly adapted from WeightWatchers