Don’t be fooled by the apples – this cake is pure indulgence at its sweet, fruity best. This cake is incredibly moist, filled with apples, soaked in a sweet syrup and all topped off with a zingy icing drizzle. Heaven. Inspired by this recipe.
As features on Good To Know Recipes.
Cake: Serves 10
- 5 large apples such as bramley, peeled, cored and chopped and placed in water with lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 400g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240ml sunflower oil
- 400g sugar
- 2tbsp maple or agave syrup mixed with 2tbsp hot water and stirred
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 egg replacements
- 3tbsp maple or agave syrup mixed with 3tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 350f/180c/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a tube tin or a deep 9-10 inch tin.
- Mix the chopped apples with the 5tbsp sugar and tbsp cinnamon until thoroughly combined then set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, 1tsp cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, syrup water, sugar, egg replacer and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour half of batter into the tin followed by half the apples over it and again, ending with apples. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer comes out with moist crumbs but without sticky batter.
- Transfer to a wire rack the right way up and pierce all over with a skewer. Mix together the drizzle and pour over the hot cake and leave to cool completely.
- Make up the icing according to pack instructions, drizzle over and serve.