This is currently my go to recipe for banana bread and muffins – they are everything they should be – incredibly moist, fragrant with banana and a hint of nuttiness, soft and light and so easy to make!
Makes 12 muffins
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed (I used 3 on the larger side)
- 75g/1/3 cup melted vegan margarine (weigh before melting)
- 150g/3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg replacer (I use Orgran No Egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda soda
- Pinch of salt
- 190g/1 1/2 cups plain/all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted or raw)
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350°F. Use a wooden spoon to mix the melted butter or margarine into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl then mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla. Then mix in the salt and bicarbonate of soda then gently fold in the flour until just incorporated – lumps are fine and necessary for well risen and soft muffins – then fold in the nuts.
- Divide between paper cases in a 12 hole muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out without any wet batter but moist crumbs are ok.
- Cool on a wire rack, serve still warm or at room temperature. These muffins keep really well for a good few days.
Veganised and adapted from Simply recipes.