Cinnamon Whirls

These are what I know as ‘proper’ cinnamon whirls. Not the yeasted bread dough whirls (which undeniably too are delicious) but a pastry whirl – a cinnamon Danish – the sort you find in the bakery, even in the supermarket bakeries. Crisp, sweet flaky pastry swirled around an aromatic, fragrant cinnamon butter. Delicious…..

These are also incredibly easy. This is a bit of a cheats recipe – I always use ready made, even ready rolled puff pastry. Yes its a cheat but ready made puff pastry is very good, gives perfect results and means I can knock up a batch of these within half an hour on a week night if I want to – so what?!! Of course, make your own puff pastry or Danish pastry if you like but rest assured that the ready made stuff will do you proud.

Ingredients: Makes 12

1 pack ready rolled puff pastry (about 375g) or alternative home-made pastry (Jus Rol brand in UK is vegan)

65g vegan margarine

2 heaped tbsp ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)

75g soft light brown sugar

Icing sugar for icing if desired

• Heat the oven to 200c and grease a baking sheet
  • Make sure the butter or margarine is really soft, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds if necessary.
  • Simply mix the sugar and cinnamon into the soft butter until smooth and mixed and uniform in colour.
  • Unroll the pastry, spread the cinnamon butter over the pastry right to the edges using up all of the butter.
  • Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll from a short edge, not too tight as the pastry will expand when baking. Slice the pastry using a sharp knife, about 1 1/2-2 cm thick and lay on the baking sheet with a good few centimetres between each.
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
  • Make a icing drizzle with icing sugar and water added by the teaspoonsful until the desired consitency is reached. Drizzle over the warm pastries.
  • Eat warm or at room temperature. Will keep in a tin for 3-4 days.
This entry was posted in Desserts, Egg-free, Pastries, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Cinnamon Whirls

1. Sally says:

making these today! so excited

2. Thelma says:

Thanks for this! Yesterday, my mom was talking about cinnamon raisin danishes and how she hasn’t had one in years, so I thought I’d surprise her. Now, I love to bake and take pride in doing it from scratch, but I draw the line at making my own puff pastry! Life is too short, you know? This is exactly the guideline I needed. Throw in some raisins and my momma will have fresh homemade danishes this weekend! Thanks again!

3. thehungrymum says:

these look amazing! Love cinnamon.

4. homeflair says:

Looks so good, must give them a try! Thanks for visiting Homeflair:)

5. Looks yummy ! Thanks for liking my post ! Happily following you!

6. Thanks for visiting my blog. All your baked goods look incredible. I find baking extremely trying. Yours look delicious.

Thank you very much. Baking is an art which can take practice but everyone can bake beautiful things. Before you know it, it becomes a happy escape 🙂

7. alison says:

mmmmm but these look good! I usually make the yeast kind, but I’ll be giving your version a go this weekend 🙂

8. These look so yummy! Can’t wait to try them!!

9. This recipe looks yummy, I definitely want to try it soon! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!

10. Christina says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your recipes!!!

11. Frances says:

Hi Poppy… Thanks for the like on my post. You have some yummy recipes on your blog!

12. I have a few recipes bookmarked for Cinnamon Rolls, but haven’t got round to making any due to tiresome pastry rolling! This is such a great idea, will be trying very soon!

My breakfast for tomorrow & the day after tomorrow, Ha!

14. currymom says:

Hi Poppy, I love your blog and the food looks wonderful 😉

15. andiemcbee says:

Those look delicious!

16. I know these would satisfy my sweet tooth Poppy! I’ve never heard them referred to as “whirls”, but it works. Celeste 🙂

17. Mmm looks so good… If your interested in a bit longer baking experience, Swedish Cinnabuns are really tasty…

18. These are so cute, I bet they’re delicious.

19. could you use butter instead of marg?

20. Cindy Green says:

Cinnamon is my most favourite taste. These look fabulous. Bet the smell in the house while they were baking was pretty incredible!

Cinnamon is mine and my partners favourite flavour too so we put it in anything we can! It smells like Christmas when these pastries are baking!

21. Morior says:

They look tasty, you seem to have gotten nice layers of the pastry! Well done. 🙂

22. earthjive says:

Reblogged this on earthjive and commented:
    Yuuummmmm!

23. k9dancer says:

These look Soooooo good. I’m going to make them this week. Heck, maybe even today!

24. oh boy…these look AMAZING!

25. These look so good, I was so happy when I realised Jus-Rol pastry was dairy free! Will definitely be knocking up some of these for my next pastry adventure.

I was pleased to know it was vegan too! Also most of the supermarkets ready made pastry is dairy free too! These are delicious so I hope you love them!

26. Wow, I love these – great to find this reminder! Thank you for liking my post – I’ve literally started today so it’s a real boost to see some comments and activity going on straight away. Much appreciated, Poppy 🙂

27. 2brokevegans says:

yes cinnamon rolls are so going to be made today thank you!!!!

28. Andrew says:

Just made them and they absolutely to die for, I don’t think there’s any going to be left in the morning lol and so easy to make, love them x

29. kellyelting says:

I was just thinking about making cinnamon bread for Sunday, but this seems delicious! Might give it a try. Thanks again for checking out my blog 😉

30. Pingback: Christmas Breakfast: Almond Croissants | Poppy's Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen

31. Pingback: A Christmas Table – Mushroom and Chestnut Wellington, Strawberry and Coconut Trifle and Stollen | Poppy's Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen

32. Pingback: Top 10 Posts of 2013 | Poppy's Patisserie | Bunny Kitchen