These are what I know as ‘proper’ cinnamon whirls. Not the yeasted bread dough whirls (which undeniably too are delicious) but a pastry whirl – a cinnamon Danish – the sort you find in the bakery, even in the supermarket bakeries. Crisp, sweet flaky pastry swirled around an aromatic, fragrant cinnamon butter. Delicious…..
These are also incredibly easy. This is a bit of a cheats recipe – I always use ready made, even ready rolled puff pastry. Yes its a cheat but ready made puff pastry is very good, gives perfect results and means I can knock up a batch of these within half an hour on a week night if I want to – so what?!! Of course, make your own puff pastry or Danish pastry if you like but rest assured that the ready made stuff will do you proud.
Ingredients: Makes 12
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry (about 375g) or alternative home-made pastry (Jus Rol brand in UK is vegan)
65g vegan margarine
2 heaped tbsp ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)
75g soft light brown sugar
Icing sugar for icing if desired
- Heat the oven to 200c and grease a baking sheet
- Make sure the butter or margarine is really soft, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds if necessary.
- Simply mix the sugar and cinnamon into the soft butter until smooth and mixed and uniform in colour.
- Unroll the pastry, spread the cinnamon butter over the pastry right to the edges using up all of the butter.
- Roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll from a short edge, not too tight as the pastry will expand when baking. Slice the pastry using a sharp knife, about 1 1/2-2 cm thick and lay on the baking sheet with a good few centimetres between each.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Make a icing drizzle with icing sugar and water added by the teaspoonsful until the desired consitency is reached. Drizzle over the warm pastries.
- Eat warm or at room temperature. Will keep in a tin for 3-4 days.