Both Mat and I are huge cinnamon fans so quite often I find myself baking something to hit the cinnamon spot. These muffins were no exception and they were stunningly spiced and were rather satisfying for breakfast and as a filling on the go snack. You can really mess with these to suit your tastes – alter the amount of cinnamon, alter the spice altogether, add fruit or nuts or chocolate chips and so on!
Makes 10 muffins
- 1 egg replacer
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g soft brown sugar
- 45ml/3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 260g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 175ml vegan yoghurt
Filling and topping:
- 55g soft brown sugar
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- optional extras: see above, I used 60g of dried mixed fruit for half of the batter
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400F and line 10-12 holes of a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large, seperate bowl, whisk together sugars, egg replacer, oil and vanilla.
- Add half the flour mix to the sugar mix followed by half the yoghurtand stir until just combined and then repeat until all is used up and combined. Add any extras in at this point and gently stir to distribute.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling.
- Spoon the batter into the tin until each hole is about 1/2 full. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of the brown sugar mixture into each cup. Evenly divide remaining batter on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or eat warm from the oven!