I simply cannot stress to you enough how much you should make this crumble – it is just to die for. Literally, I will never, ever again make an apple crumble. This pudding, with its sweet, saucy, summery layer of almond thickened strawberries tops with a buttery, almondy, crunchy yet soft crumble, is pure indulgance at its finest.
I urge you please, to make this as soon as possible.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- For the filling:
- 500g strawberries, hulled and large ones halved
- 50g caster sugar
- 25g ground almonds
- 2-4tsp vanilla extract
- For the topping:
- 80g ground almonds
- 80g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 110g cold vegan margarine, diced
- 75g flaked almonds
- 110g granulated or caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Put the hulled strawberries into a pie dish or baking dish (I use a rectangular ‘lasagne’ dish) and sprinkle over the sugar, almonds and vanilla extract. Give the dish a good shake or two to mix the ingredients.
- Now for the crumble topping: put the flour, almonds and baking powder in a mixing bowl and rub in the cold, diced margarine or blitz in a processor until you get a rubble like oatmeal or course crumbs. Mix in or blitz in the sugar.
- Tip the topping over the strawberry filling, covering the strawberries in an even layer and pressing the topping in a little at the edges of the dish. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Set the dish on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, by which time the crumble topping will have darkened to a pale gold and some pink-red juices will be seeping and bubbling out at the edges.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes before serving with lashings of cream or ice cream!
Adapted from Nigella