This crumble is so delicious and is a great change from the normal, although yummy, apple crumble! Its quick, easy and uses such basic ingredients which amazingly form into a fantastic dessert. It comes out of the oven with a delicious, spiced, saucy layer of fruit topped with a soft yet crispy crumble topping that melts in the mouth.
Serves 4 generously.
300g frozen or fresh mixed cherries, blackcurrants and blackberries (or any other berries)
1/2 tbsp plain flour
25g sugar of any kind
1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon (or more or less to taste)
165g plain flour
90g granulated sugar
100g vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 180c and have ready a baking dish of around 5 x 8 inches.
- Put the fruit into the dish, sprinkle over the sugar and flour and mix gently until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle over the cinnamon and mix in.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and sugar for the topping then rub in the margarine gently until you get a coarse texture like peas with some bigger and smaller pieces or alternatively blitz the sugar and flour for a few seconds in a food processor then pulse in the butter until you get large crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, it doesn’t have to be neat at all but do make sure the filling is completely covered, also don’t press or flatten the topping, it should be rough and bumpy to get the right texture and to ensure it crisps up nicely.
- Bake for 40-45 mins until crisp and golden. Serve hot with ice cream, cream or custard.
- It will keep for a couple of days in the fridge and can be heated up in the microwave or oven until hot through.