Every now and again you taste something that has that very special edge over even our most favourite foods.
The first bite causes a ‘mmmmmmmmmmmmm’ followed by full muscle relaxation and we melt down into our seat with a big smile on our faces.
These cupcakes did just that for me, so I named them DreamCakes.
I love almonds and I love dainty cupcakes. So, I decided to experiment with the two and lucky for me, the first experiment was perfect! These cakes are incredibly moist, light and beautifully flavoured with almond and a hint of orange. They could be made gluten free by using all almonds and gluten free baking powder.
Makes 6 Cupcakes (can be multiplied)
125g vegan margarine
60g light soft brown sugar
65g caster sugar
2 egg replacements
90g ground almonds (or 125g for gluten free)
35g self raising flour (omit for gluten free)
1 rounded tsp baking powder (+ extra 1/4tsp if using all almonds)
1tsp almond extract
zest of one orange
about 50g flaked almonds
icing sugar to dredge (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200c and fill a 6 or 12 hole muffin tin with 6 paper cases.
- Put the margarine into a mixing bowl and place in the microwave for 15 seconds until about a third or so of it is melted.
- Then mix it up so that it is all soft.
- Then, add in both sugars and beat in with a wooden spoon until all the sugar has combined with the margarine and the mixture is pale and light then mix in the egg replacer.
- Add in the zest and almond extract and mix in.
- Then, mix in the almonds, followed by the flour and baking powder.
- Divide between the cases and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the cakes are risen, golden, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean or with crumbs but no sticky batter.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before dredging with icing sugar if desired and tucking in!
- Enjoy! – Binky certainly enjoyed the crumbs from the papers!