I found this recipe on ‘Baking Bites’. They are soooo yummy. They are very rich and the maple flavour is very much present, they are also very, very moist. These are definitely a ‘go to’ recipe of mine now. Thanks again Baking Bites!
The recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Maple Syrup Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups Plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
2/3 cup soft light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk (milk with a tbsp of lemon juice is fine)
1/3 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F, 180c, gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, an electric whisk is best for this, it should take about 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract.
- Stir in buttermilk and maple syrup.
- Carefully fold in the flour mixture, using as little strokes as possible, only until there is no dry mix present. It is important not to overmix.
- Divide evenly into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.. Turn cupcakes out on to a wire rack to cool before frosting.
These can be dusted with cinnamon (below), icing sugar or even cocoa after frosting.
125g Unsalted butter, very soft
300g icing sugar
2tbsp maple syrup or 1tsp vanilla extract or paste
- Cream the butter until smooth then gradually beat in the sugar, this can be done by hand or in a food processor
- Add in the syrup or vanilla and mix until fully incorporated
- Pipe or spread onto the cooled cupcakes