This recipe for Farmhouse Fruit Cake tastes just like the Classic Mr. Kipling! I regularly make this for the farmers on the farm where Mat’s stepdad does dog training. I searched forever to find a recipe that was just like Mr. K’s with no luck so with a bit of experimenting and playing with similar recipes, I came up with this. The cake can be baked in a 7 inch round tin or a 2lb loaf tin.
Ingredients: Serves 10
- 225g Self Raising white flour
- 175g vegetable margarine
- 75g light soft brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 flax eggs
- 200g mixed dried fruit
- zest of one lemon or orange OR 2tbsp juice
- 3-4tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line the tin
- Cream together the margarine and sugars with an electric whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy
- Add the flax eggs, one at a time and beat well after each
- gently fold in the flour, followed by the zest (if using) and fruit
- If using juice stir in at this stage
- Spoon into the tin and sprinkle the demerara sugar on the top, all over the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour, covering with foil after 40 minutes to avoid over-browning.
- Turn out after a couple of minutes and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- The cake will keep for up to a week in an airtight tin or in greaseproof paper and foil. The cake also freezes very well for up to 3 months.