The World’s Healthiest Colcannon

photo 2

Colcannon, the traditional Irish potato dish of butter and cream laden mashed potatoes, laced with greens. This is truly decadent food, not to be eaten in small portions, and likely to make you need a nap after eating.

Now you can enjoy this hearty, comfort dish with all the delicious, creamy textures and flavours without the artery clogging fat and excess calories and still have the energy to do the dishes after dinner.

photo 3

The thing is, there is no potatoes in this recipe. I know, I know, this may seem a crime, but in the interest of eating huge portions of delicious food without the extra pounds, it’s worth breaking from tradition in my book. Besides, no one missed the potatoes and the use of cauliflower gives a rich and creamy mash without the need for all the fat.

photo 1

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Ingredients: Serves 4

• 1 large head of cauliflower (about 800g), broken into florets (keep the leaves and stalk for stock or feed them to the bunnies or other wildlife)
  • 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 small head of savoy cabbage  (or other cabbage or green such as kale), shredded
  • 125ml/1/2 cup unsweetened soya milk (or other unsweetened non dairy milk)
  • 3 spring onions, finely sliced
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper

1. Steam or boil the cauliflower and parsnip until tender. Drain and set aside to steam dry.
  2. Steam the cabbage until tender but still crisp, set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, add the cauliflower and parsnip to a food processor (you may need to do this in batches) and pulse, gradually adding the milk until you reach the desired consistency and add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Add the mash to a large serving bowl and stir through the cabbage and most of the spring onions, reserving a few to sprinkle on top.

Calorie Count :: New Recipe

Nutritional Benefits

Very low in saturated fat
No cholesterol
High in calcium
Very high in dietary fiber
High in manganese
High in magnesium
High in pantothenic acid
High in phosphorus
Very high in potassium
High in riboflavin
High in thiamin
Very high in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin C
join-me-on-facebook
twitter_follow
About these ads
This entry was posted in Gluten-free, Mains, Side dishes, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to The World’s Healthiest Colcannon

1. Cauliflower is a veg that’s barley used in my kitchen so it would be nice to give this a try. I especially like the use of soya milk and I think I’d add a bit of Vitalite sunflower spread.

I think this is a great way to use cauliflower especially if you are not a huge fan of it as it is completely transformed in this dish and it is not a dominant flavour. Adding Vitalite would make it extra rich and delicious!

2. polianthus says:

looks nice, although I am not sure I really want the energy after eating to do the dishes I prefer to just close my eyes and hope they vanish in a puff of smoke. Now if your dish also cleaned the dishes as well as being healthy and nutritious that would definitely have me hooked!

Yes it’d be nice if they did just vanish in a puff of smoke! I hate waking up to the night before’s dishes so I love to still have the energy to get them done and out the way! :)

3. Ani says:

Yum that looks great!

4. Oba333 says:

Looks wonderful, I can’t wait to try it!!

5. bakingthyme says:

Hi! Thanks for liking my first post ^__^ it really just made my day!

6. Looks like the perfect mash! Can’t wait to give it a try!

7. Ooh nice! A much healthier way of having it, right up my street x

8. Pingback: The World’s Healthiest Colcannon | homethoughtsfromabroad626

9. MamaD1xx4xy says:

I love mashed cauliflower! We just had our’s roasted last night. My youngest picked it out at the store and I was too lazy to mash, maybe next time.

10. How great! This looks fantastic!

11. Awesome! So much flavour!

12. I love that you healthified this dish!! Must try. I love cauliflower mash. :)

13. This looks sooo good Poppy xx

14. that looks delish. i’ll try that sometime! post my version in my blog and thank you for the tip!

15. Those look AWESOME, and healthy!

16. This looks so delectable and EXTREMELY HEALTHY!

17. knattster says:

Yum – that’s a great idea. I ended up having mashed swede with cabbage as my version of healthy ‘colcannon’ but yours looks much more like the real thing!

18. Deena Kakaya says:

Gasp! No potatoes? But then I do love cauliflower and this dish does look incredibly scrumptious. Clever work Poppy x

19. Colleen says:

Wow this is so clever! You know, for a long time I’d seen recipes using cauliflower mash and was hesitant to try but once I did, I was hooked. Great flavor. I love this!

20. jennypughuk says:

Wow, this looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it! :)

21. I’ve never had colcannon, but your version of it looks wonderfully healthful and amazing Poppy! Celeste :)

Oh Celeste, I think you’ll love colcannon! It’s lovely and fluffy and laced with greens, so comforting :) It was very satisfying making this usually very heavy on the fat dish so much lighter! :D

22. Terri Cole says:

Poppy, I made this and forgot to comment on how much I enjoyed it. I had to sub turnip for parsnip, and I did add one small potato. It was lovely underneath a veggie (vaguely Irish) Stew!

Terri!! I love the idea of using turnip, I will try that, thank you :) I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Can’t beat stew and mash sometimes!!

23. Veggiewitch says:

THIS looks gorgeous! I must try it. ❤

Veggiewitch

24. Love this idea. We’ve already been using cauliflower instead of rice: it didn’t occur to me to try it instead of potatoes in mash. Our household doesn’t much like parsnip, and turnip is definitely off the menu. Do you think this work without the parsnip?

25. Compassionate Tummies says:

The title of this post couldn’t be more true! I love Irish fare and this looks fantastic. I tried making mashed “potatoes” using cauliflower once, but it wasn’t quite right. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your lovely comment! I’m sorry you didn’t have great success with mashed cauliflower before. I think the food processor is definitely necessary and the cauliflower soft enough to blend but not waterlogged and limp so it gets fluffy! The additions here make it much more exciting too! I hope you enjoy this version better than your previous experience :)

26. Oh my! You used califlower instead of real potatoes. I should try this recipe one time.

27. Beach Girl says:

This looks amazing and decadent. I look forward to trying it (and seeing if I can fool my husband who I know will cringe if I tell him it’s cauliflower :)).

28. Pingback: Cauliflower masquerading as mashed potato | Mermaid's tresses

29. Oh, Poppy, I love this! I’ve mashed cauliflower and parsnips plenty, but I love your addition of cabbage and soy milk…I must try this soon!

30. Pingback: COLCANNON MOUNTAIN (CAULIFLOWER KIND-OF COLCANNON) | Cheesy Biscuit