Happy New Year and an Ancient Arab Vegan Poem

20140101-182538.jpg

Nicholson, 1921.

I wish you all a prosperous and love filled year ahead and thank you for all of your kindness and support in 2013.

To offer you a source of inspiration to begin the New Year, I share with you an ancient poem written by Al-Ma’arri who was a Syrian poet and philosopher who lived from 973-1057.

I No Longer Steal From Nature

You are diseased in understanding and religion.
Come to me, that you may hear something of sound truth.
Do not unjustly eat fish the water has given up,
And do not desire as food the flesh of slaughtered animals,
Or the white milk of mothers who intended its pure draught
for their young, not noble ladies.
And do not grieve the unsuspecting birds by taking eggs;
for injustice is the worst of crimes.
And spare the honey which the bees get industriously
from the flowers of fragrant plants;
For they did not store it that it might belong to others,
Nor did they gather it for bounty and gifts.
I washed my hands of all this; and wish that I
Perceived my way before my hair went gray!

~ Al-Ma’arri (973-1057), Baghdad.

Source, On Nonhuman Slavery

Published and translated in “Studies in Islamic Poetry and Mysticsm“ by Reynold A. Nicholson. Cambridge University Press, 1921, Cambridge, England.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Animals, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Happy New Year and an Ancient Arab Vegan Poem

How cool is that, Waw even. A happy 2014 to you, your loved ones & your tasty blog too, dear Poppy. X

2. Thank you for the wonderful New Year’s gift. I hope you have a wonderful year and I look forward to reading your blog!

3. Rörschåch says:

This is great. I just watched forks over knives and am now setting up a vegan meal plan for the next couple of weeks to see how I’ll do. Thank you and happy new year!

That is fabulous news! I really hope you enjoy the vegan adventure and discover a whole new world of eating :)

Good luck and feel free to come by for any advice!

4. saucygander says:

Very thoughtful poem, thanks for sharing!

5. Monetta says:

What a beautiful poem!

6. Ahila says:

Lovely poetry… A happy New Year to you too, Poppy!

7. ohlidia says:

Happy New Year!

8. Isn’t that amazing! How did you find this?
    Must have been incredibly hard being vegan then! I will remember this poet when I’m feeling impatient about creating ‘vegan awareness’. Every new post you write, each new commission I take on, each vegan meal we cook for our friends…. changing the world bite by bite, as they say ;-)

Incredible. Must have been so rare to be vegan then also, especially given how relatively recent welfare and sentience understanding etc is. I wonder if he had a following or how many vegans were of his time. Makes me feel proud that this man worked out nature like the majority of mankind in our ‘developed’ world can’t. The fact that milk is for offspring for example, he didn’t require the science and statistics that people still refuse to accept even with facts! Good for him. And yes, I hope this brings you courage in tough times.

Happy new year :)

9. foodbod says:

Lovely poem, so many words so true xx

10. BEAUTYCALYPSE says:

if he only could have had blogged!
    aaaaand here comes my usual praise of technology, because as far as I can see, the veggie/vegan numbers are growing, and the public starts asking for animal wellfare and for healthier food options. documentaries like “forks over knives”, books like “eating animals”, numerous vegan food and lifestyle blogs and holistic nutritionists, each of those has helped spread the word. so here’s to a more enlightened, a kinder, and a greener 2014!

11. Violet says:

Beautiful poem! Such wise words from a poet who lived over 1000 years ago. Wow!! Thanks for sharing, Poppy! Wishing you another beautiful year filled with possibilities and dreams coming true! :)

Thank you so much for your wonderful wishes and I wish you a magical year ahead too!

I agree, the age of this poem was the startling aspect for me, that there were vegans then who must have been a minority beyond anything we can imagine in our lifetime. Incredibly inspiring!

Happy New Year, Poppy! I hope you have a lovely year ahead. Thanks for sharing this amazing poem!

13. This is great! I hope you are having a lovely start to 2014!

14. What a great poem Poppy! I guess the veganism movement has been around for a long time. You’d think that there would be more of us around by now. Happy New Year chica! Celeste :)

Hi Celeste, Happy New Year to you too! I hope you had a great time at the weddings!
      It’s amazing how long veganism has been around for, I was really surprised. I saw a figure yesterday that said just 2-3% of the UK is vegetarian let alone vegan :(
      Poppy :D

15. Great poem and so appropriate for another vegan year!

16. Vine Vampire says:

One of the most touching poems I´ve ever read, thank you so much for posting. There is so much wisdom in the words <3

17. Wow awesome post! And I really enjoyed the Arab poem, very interesting, thank you for sharing that. Love love love your blog! And many thanks for visiting my blog as well, sis :) <3