DIY Christmas: Candy Canes and Homemade Cards

Christmas wouldn’t be complete without candy canes would it? I actually don’t like to eat them, but I love the look of them and I love the classic Christmassy look they give. They are actually incredibly easy to make with fondant icing and look so cute hanging on the tree or added to homemade gift baskets.

Cards are so simple to make and with just a few inexpensive materials you can make special, personalised cards.

Candy Canes

What you need: Makes 24

• 250g/9 oz fondant icing (homemade or ready made, check it’s vegan)
  • A few drops peppermint extract
  • A few drops natural green food colouring (the only red colouring I could find was cochineal/carmine E120 which is insect juice)

What to do:

Here’s a step-by-step guide demonstrated by Mat.

Fotor121522379 Fotor1215224030 IMG_3540

Cards

What you need:

• White card
  • Red card (or any other coloured card)
  • Festive embellishments such as stick on card badges, glitter, bows, ribbons
  • Paint pen or marker pen in festive colours (I used metallic gold Sharpie)
  • Glue stick or craft glue and double sided tape or super glue (in the UK Ryman glue is vegan)
  • Scissors
  • Envelopes

Fotor1215231335

What to do:

Cut your white card to the size you require depending on how large you want your card to be. Fold in half then simply decorate as you wish!

*****************************************************************************************************************

One of my degu girls had a stroke the other day. She is a little fighter and she has not given up on life so I am certainly not giving up on her! With a little support, she is still living a fulfilling life with her sisters.

Fotor1215231743

And on a brighter note, I came home to this today. I am so blessed.

Fotor1215224249

About these ads
This entry was posted in Christmas, DIY, Gifts, vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to DIY Christmas: Candy Canes and Homemade Cards

1. HeartBound says:

Those candy canes look great! I don’t eat them either but they’re nice as decorations. Sorry to hear about your degu. I hope she can keep enjoying her life. I’m sure you’re doing everything you can to make her comfortable.

2. Laura says:

I have never made homemade candy canes – and while I don’t normally like to eat them, I think I would if they were made out of fondant! Yum!

3. These look so amazingly pretty!

4. Love your creative posts this month Poppy! So many ideas! :)

5. bakearama says:

Ooh I’d never thought to make candy canes but will be definitely trying these! I get a bit bored of the sugar ones but love a bit of fondant :-)
    Hope your furry one gets better soon x

6. Serena says:

So incredibly cute!

7. foodbod says:

They look amazing, I’d love to try making them, but even though the step by step guide makes it look easy, I’m sure it isn’t!!! Love love love the creativity, and your gorgeous furry friends xx

8. Ohhh your poor degu. They are little fighters, aren’t they? (Especially with each other, if they’re boys, sigh.) I hope she continues to do well :-)

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. They are incredibly strong little things, how a creature so tiny can defy all odds! And yes, the boys do like to scrap! Mine are all girls, they squabble but never fight. I work with boys who can be very territorial at times! Today she is more wobbly but eating on her own for the first time so that’s a huge step forward. Thank you :D

• Yes, my boys decided they’d rather destroy each other than live together, so they have been separated for a long time. I know some people make it work, but I just couldn’t live with the idea of coming home to one of them critically injured one day…silly degus.

Eating on her own sounds like great news!! I hope she continues to improve :-)

Yes, I agree, it’s not worth the risk of them injuring eachother. It’s often forgotten that in the wild they would not be forced to live in an enclosed space together! How many do you have?

• 2 boys (Sparky and Houdini). You?

9. Great ideas, clever you :-)
    Your degu is a such a cute bundle of fluffyness. We’ve got a little (almost 10 year old) house bunny – your blog name definitely appealed to me ;-)

Oh thank you :D
      Aw I love it that you have a little house bunny! I currently have 12, my eldest is 7. I hope he’s still going strong when he’s 10 like yours! Your bunny is obviously well cared for :D

10. How great! They are so lovely! I’m loving these DIY posts! :)

11. Christina says:

These are picture perfect! I’m really impressed.
    Christina

12. I just don’t know where you find the time to do all this DIY stuff Poppy! I used to do more DIY stuff, but I can’t seem to find the time these days. I actually like candy canes, and I bet your homemade ones taste lovely. I’m also sorry to hear about your degu girl. I know you’ll give her the best of care, however! Celeste :)

PS – I want to take a moment to tell you that I’ve loved following your blog these past few months and to say, Merry Christmas!

Celeste, you are so lovely, I’ve loved following you too!

As for the time, well lately in the lead up to Christmas, it’s been many unhealthily late nights! I love it though, apart from when I forget the cookies in the oven as I did today – whoops! :D

Thank you for your wishes for Strokey (her new nickname!), she’s still going strong!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

13. Love this – one of my favorite holiday blog posts!

14. artybaker says:

Those candy canes are really cool – and so simple! Thanks for sharing. Love the picture of the cats, so cute!