Everyone appreciates a pretty, wonderful scented candle and they are one of the most fun things to make at home yet are so easy.
I simply bought a bunch of mini hexagonal jars and little glasses to fill with my candles. a little glitter and double sided sticky tape makes them extra pretty!
Use essential oils to make your candles smell beautiful. You can also use good, pure extracts you’d use for cooking. I made a coffee and hazelnut candle with hazelnut extract and whole coffee beans layered in the candle. Just be sure to add the oils a drop at a time as they vary in strength. You want the aroma to be just a little stronger than is pleasant as the scent loses strength as the wax cools.
What you need:
- Soy wax
- Pre-waxed wick with metal base clip
- Containers of your choice such as glass jars
- Essential oils and add in’s such as coffee beans, seeds scraped from a vanilla pod, glitter or small stones
For glittery candles:
- Double sided sticky tape
What you need to do:
- Prepare your containers if decorating them. Simply stick double sided tape on in any pattern you wish such as single strips around the base or top or centre or a winding pattern, then remove the covering. Roll in the glitter ensuring the sticky tape is completely covered then brush off any excess glitter with a pastry brush or kitchen paper.
- Melt your wax in a microwave or in a pan over a low heat. If making different scented candles, I would suggest melting a small amount at a time or have a second pan handy to pour amounts of melted wax into before adding any scent. Read your wax packaging for any specific heating instructions.
- Add your essential oils drop by drop until the scent is quite strong but not so strong it makes your eyes water! Dip the metal base of the wick into the melted wax and secure against the base of the container in the centre and hold until secure. Gently and very carefully pour the wax into the container. If your wax is too hot, it may melt the wax holding the wick in place. If this happens either leave the wax to cool slightly or add just a think layer of wax to the container, enough to cover the wick and leave to set fully in the fridge before adding the remaining wax.
- If using an add in with weight such as coffee beans. It is best to add in layers, so add a third wax, leave to set then add coffee beans, cover in wax and so on. This way you get an even distribution that will be seen as the candle burns down.
- Label and give as gifts or use to decorate your own home!