This cake transports you to some exotic, tropical island where the sea is crystal blue, the sand running, warm through your toes and the breeze fresh and serene. In your hand you have a funky glass of orange and passion fruit juice complete with brightly coloured, twirly umbrellas. Except you are in your living room and your tropical juice is actually delicious cake.
It’s certainly cheaper.
The flavours are bold and fruity and the cake is incredibly moist, no cuppa tea necessary.
I love the speckles of the passionfruit seeds but if you don’t like the crunch, feel free to leave them out.
It’s especially good with something creamy alongside – coconut whipped cream is just meant to pair with this cake. Non dairy yoghurt or ice cream is good too.
Ingredients: Serves 12
- 165ml/2/3 cup passionfruit pulp
- 250g/1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp orange zest finely grated
- 225g/1 cup unrefined caster sugar
- 3 egg replacers (Ener-G or Orgran)
- 250ml/1 cup non dairy yoghurt
- 250g/2 cups self-raising flour
- 80ml/1/3 cup orange juice
- 60ml//4 cup water
- 170g/3/4 cup unrefined caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180′C/350′F and line a 20cm square tin.
- Strain the passionfruit, reserving both the seeds and juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the margarine, orange zest and sugar until light and fluffy then add egg replacers and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the passionfruit juice and non dairy yoghurt then sift over the flour in two batches and fold through. Spread mix into cake tin.
- Bake for about 1 hour until a skewer comes out clean.
- About ten minutes before the cake is due to be ready, make the syrup. Combine the orange juice, water, sugar and passionfruit seeds in a saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar dissolves then simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Allow the cake to stand in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack set over a tray. Pour the hot syrup over the hot cake and serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted and veganised from Australian Women’s Weekly via Bakespace